How long before I can begin PT in the pool?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

Im twenty days out after a tkr and was wondering how long before I can begin pt in the pool? Stitches were removed on day thirteen and wound is healing well.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need to ask your surgeon. The pool was a game changer for me. Good luck!
  • Posted

Love a pool for rehab! Wait until your incision is fully healed to avoid infection. As with any exercise, start slow! Have a great time, wish it was warm in NY and my pool was open.
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I had to wait until I was 6 weeks post op, and that was from both my surgeon and my PT. Your incision may look like its progressing well on the outside, but there are layers below that still need time to close and heal. I know I was very anxious to get in the pool and it did wonders for my ROM, but please don't push it. The chemicals in a highly maintained pool (or the bacteria in an unmaintqained pool) put you at a very high risk of tissue damage and infection. You definitely don't want to go there with this procedure. Hang in there, get your surgeon's definitive answer and start counting the days. Good luck for continued healing!

• Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. I had thought around six weeks but as ever there seems to be differing opinions and as you say dee, its not something you want to rush into after a tkr.

What a wonderful site this is. As with most people, each day brings little queries in the mind that one would never have thought of before the op-keep up the good work.

• Posted

I've heard a lot of different numbers from a lot of people on this one. My doc said 6 weeks.  Recommendation: Follow your doctor's orders.  Don't get a number from this site.  Listen to your doc.

• Posted

Hi

I had a waterproof dressing was in a hydro pool day 2.

Had hot baths at home 3 times a day for pain relief from day 4 when I was home.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Sue. I'm recovering from a broken patella and I'm counting down the days until I can get in the pool. My surgeon and PT both say at six weeks. For me I guess it's about limiting my rom. Good luck and I hope you start hydro soon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.