Not Quite Sure PT is Working

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello 

4-monthS. since TKR.  Started outpatient PT 8 weeks ago.  Flexion is 130 but still can't straighten past -4.

a "friend" who had both done last Nov, and did fantastic, said she thinks they are ripping off my ins co.  Now since that negative thought has been put into my head I'm getting discouraged. 

Also still have pain, tightness, swelling.  My PT gives me the same exercises every time.  He has been adding weights and has pushed on my quads too.  But I feel like it's an exercise in futility.  

Am am I being impatient?  

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judy. We can't compare our TKR to other people. We are all different. Even each of my knees was different on the recovery. Recovery can talk a long time. You can't go wrong by doing your PT exercises. It helps to make your knee and leg stronger. We have to just be patient. Good luck and don't give up. It will come but just take time.

• Posted

Recovery and fingerprints are just alike......individual. Don't let anyone try and dictate the recovery process or results. My 1st tor it took months to get where you are. My last opening, I was at-1 the day after surgery but still can't get to 120 over a year later. Be patient and continue exercising. You are so close to the finish line, stay faithful to the process. There are no deadlines on getting better

• Posted

How would they be ripping off your insurance company, by not rehabbing you properly? That would be malpractice and fraud! Everyone, every knee rehabs differently. I had mine done 3 1/2 months apart, two different recoveries. You are progressing as fast as YOUR body can. I have been going to PT 3x a week, since 08/15/16 right knee, 11/30/16 second knee, same exercises that build and add as my legs get stronger. Weights are different on each leg.

If you have any question about your care, speak to your PT or call another PT and ask for a consult. I switched PTs about 3 weeks after starting the first knee because I did tiny they were aggressive enough. I am happy and feel confident with my care now.

Good luck and keep going!!

• Posted

Impatient? Yes.  I got stuck at -4 for weeks.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...the latter are the worst because you feel frozen in your recovery.  Takes more PT, effort and time.  Be patient...work hard.

"Also still have pain, tightness, swelling..."  

- The first is totally normal for a while longer...for many, it takes to around the six-month mark to realize that the pain is finally gone.

- The second could last until 12-18 months...again, normal.

- For the third one, swelling always indicates that you pushed the knee too far that day.  I used a FitBit to track my steps, find my pain point and then progress gradually.

Hope this helps.  

• Posted

Hi

We all heal differently, if the pain after exercise continues into the next day my Physio told me my knee was not ready.

We all need to listen to our bodies.

Good healing

• Posted

On the sibject of straightening i am just 21 days post op the pt gave me the excercise of putting my foot on setee arm whilst reclining and let gravity straighten the knee hold for 10 if you can its a killer but worked. Dont know measurement yet but can trap hubbys hand underneath it now with good pressure. It made me cry with pain.
  • Posted

Hi judy,

I'm 10 weeks out and yes still pain and hard to walk but is getting better week by week. For me all I can say is pt pt pt ans more pt never give up. I got my leg strait on my own by sitting on the floor and while my leg is strait I would put a dumbbell on my leg close to the knee and hold for a count of 30 started with 5 lbs and am up to 15 lbs with count of 60. I started that 3 weeks ago and has helped me a great deal. Good luck.

Never give up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.