2 weeks post TKR, and feeling nauseous.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Anyone else had this I'm two weeks post op and feeling rather sick most of the day.  Scared to eat if you know what I mean.  Could it be the meds? 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had the same thing with headaches. My doctor gave me a Rx motion sickness patch tonwear behind my ear. No more problem. Call the PA to the surgeon and tell them how you are feeling and ask for a patch. Good luck and feel better!!
  • Posted

Yes for sure the first month I had problems and if I ate was really nauseated with stomach cramps.I SLEPT WITH A PAN SOME DAYS.

BRoth and tea seemed to do the best for me or fresh mellon hang in there, time will imove things!

• Posted

this made me laugh because for I got my husband to bring a bucket up to the bedroom - just in case. I could do with losing a few pounds so no sweat! X
  • Posted

Yup, could be the meds...and the pain level.  What r u taking???
    • Posted

Only codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen plus senna. No tramadol this time!
    • Posted

both acetaminophen and ibuprofen are not easy on the stomach in large doses or taken for a long time.  Ibuprophin should not be taken on an empty stomach.  Codeine can cause nausea.  All three together?  Yeah...I'd say it's the drugs...  You might want to switch from codeine to oxycodone...may have less stomach effects with the same painkiller effectiveness.  Then again, it's still an opioid.  A lot of this is trial and error...

• Posted

I'm going back to hospital  tomorrow for staples to be removed so will mention the nausea then. It's trial and error alright! I stand by my cupboard thinking what the hell can I take.  Ice seems as good as anything but it only last a short time.  Hey ho.  Keep on trucking eh.  Thanks 

• Posted

I had similar problems. Between the pain , pain killers, meds for constipation from pain meds couldn't sleep well up a lot at night. I wasn't eating very well. The pain was worth it though, I can do things now I hesitated before because they hurt doing them . Best wishes, hang in there

• Posted

Oh honey. It is the meds. Try some Ensure so you're getting your nutrition. I lost so much weight myself and I was thin to begin with. Your body should adjust to the meds. But stay hydrated and sleep. Prayers and hugs. Keep taking the meds though or the pain will be intolerable.

• Posted

I bet it's your meds, I was sick when I was taking them. I would try to eat and then would feel sick. 

• Posted

Elaine, I also felt like you but I was only taking oxycodone - headaches, stomach ache, nauseous. I stopped taking it and switched to ibuprofen but had the same symptoms. So I just take Tylenol. Not as effective but felt better. Good luck to you. Hope you can find relief.
  • Posted

hi Elaine I'm 4 weeks into TKR and I also felt sick most of the time I am on paracetamol and codeine now and that seems to be keeping Everything in check. Some days I feel hungry then when it comes I feel sick.  it is getting better but when in hospital I was given some sort of slow release morphine tab which made me so ill.  also the pain is rather sickening at times, lack of sleep dosent help I'm still not over the should I have had this done, feeling sorry for myself etc.  but there are more good days now I can walk without my sticks and we went swimming on Tuesday.  hope you soon feeling better, contact me anytime best wishes Christine 

• Posted

chris, i had staples out today and mentioned the sickness to the nurse.  she said its the codeine, and the ibuprofen and to take down the dose of the codeine and use Naproxen which is stronger, instead of ibuprofen.  watch this space!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.