Blood tests for Hep B & C

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am nearly 2 1/2 years  into being diagnosed with RA. My new rhuemy ordered the 3rd blood test and in it was included lab work for Hep B and C. Is it normal for her to be testing me for this with RA? I thought they tested for Hep B before they gave biologics and from what I am reading the only reason she would be testing for Hep C is sharing of needles! Am I missing something here or is my rhuemy on a witch hunt? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have been tested for these routinely i think once a year or before starting a new medication. Hope that helps!
  • Posted

Hi River,

I was diagnosed a few months ago and was tested for Hepatitis amongst the stack of bloods they took off at my first Rheumatology appt. I don't have any history of drug use etc, the Doc said they do it as routine (I'm in the UK).

Best wishes

• Posted

I can see them doing it at the first when diagnosed but 2 1/2 years later? And this is the 3rd blood test she has ordered in 3 months. It maybe routine to do it every year, I don't know and I've only been going to her for 3 months also

• Posted

Could it be that it was maybe missed initially and she is just wanting to be thorough? It's a shame that it has stressed you out like this, she should have explained it to you.

• Posted

The first doctor I went to after being diagnosed put me on MTX and 6 months later Remicade.  After a year on these 2 drugs he retired and I had to find another doc.  On my first visit he did those 2 tests and a test for TB and lots others also a urinalysis. I am 80 yrs. so I guess with some doctors it's standard. Also found out that they do the TB test every year.  I thought it was odd to because of my age but he's the doctor.

• Posted

It's not been a weakened immune system problem I've heard about. Seems only an issue if you were higher risk or been subjected to it in the past. Like living with someone with hepB or C.

I've got labs in the near future. I'm going to look close at them. I usually do though. Hmm. Interesting. Good luck River

em

• Posted

Hey River, I have had RA for over 7 miserable years now. I have taken 2 different types of biologics and never had a Hep test. I was tested for TB and of course that came positive. went on antibiotics for 9 months, still have the virus in my system but apparently I have nothing to worry about. Latent tuberculosis is what they called it. My rheumatolagist keeps trying different meds. I have tried 10 different types so far and am heading for #11. I am so discouraged I went to see a Natriopath Dr last month and she seems to think I do not have RA but possible lyme disease. Sorry for the rant, but to answer your question, I have never been tested for Hep anything, have you done any research?
  • Posted

Hey River, I may have been tested now that I think of it. My first visit with her about 6 years ago they done alot of bloodwork at the clinic, didn't really explain alot to me but they could have very well tested for Hep, best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Nellie. I had a friend tell me that maybe my rheumy just wanted to establish her own bloodwork and not rely on others. That makes sense. Perhaps I was rushing to judgement on this doctor since I really didn't want to go to her but was pressured into it. I just feel more comfortable with my regular GP. 

• Posted

I have about 12 different blood tests, all blood taken at the same time, for monthly ESR CRP, Liver function, HEP, TB, chem 20, FBC,

as I understand it because of drugs they give you, can cause complications, and they want to head off any problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.