Sleeping problems as I become my active in recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bilateral anterior hip replacements Dec 22nd. On the 30th I got my feet tangled up getting in the shower and broke my left femur, didn't realize it until the following week when I had my first follow-up x-rays. Jan 8th I had my femur repaired along with tendons and ligaments and a left hip revision. I am making progress in my recovery after inpatient rehab and now outpatient physical therapy which I am still undergoing. I attend that 3 times per week and have exercises to do at home 2 other days. I also have RA. In the past few days I have started having increased nighttime leg pain as well as discomfort at times during the day. I have progressed to using a 4 prong cane about 75% of the time. I do still use my walker sometimes at home. My question is does anyone have any suggestions to help with sleep. I'm still on my back although never a back sleeper prior to this. I take ambient for sleep, have for years, although it isn't helping now. I see my surgeon on Tuesday. Hoping for some helpful input from experience. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rita, sorry you are having such pain. I am 4 weeks post op for a LTHR and spent about 2 weeks sleeping in a recliner with pillows propped around me. I am not a back sleeper either so not comfortable at all in bed. Sleeping in the recliner helped a lot. I guess it supports your body in places the bed doesn't. Last week I was finally able to sleep on my side in bed. Hope you start to feel better soon.😊

• Posted

Thank you Jo Ann.I actually have a recliner that I have slept part of the time in as well as a wedge pillow that is on my side of the bed. I came home from rehab 2 weeks ago and had managed to sleep in one spot or the other until the last few days. Unfortunately Thursday night I was having such problems with restless leg type pain I dozed off for 10 to 15 minutes about 3 times the entire night. I had walked more that day since a friend had offered to come and take me to do some necessary shopping and walk around quite a bit.

I wish that my left side felt as recovered as its undamaged counterpart. I'm scheduled to return to work 3 weeks from tonight. My therapist feels I am making progress to the point where I will be able to do so. I'm hoping he is right.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you continue to recover well.

• Posted

hi rita, 

goodness ..  you went through a lot in such a short time  -- 

are you still takining pain meds?  

A great deal of the recovery takes place in the first two months, but complete return to normal takes longer. Bone, a living tissue around the metal parts keeps changing and remodeling for 1 to 2 years after surgery, which is why you can feel aches and pains at times, especially after increased physical activity -

I am sorry I have no real advice on back sleeping ... 

big warm hig

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. I am still taking pain meds but trying to stretch them out as far as possible. I don't think it's totally the back sleeping, although there are times I am pretty sure my rear gets really tired of supporting me so much. I have found some info about magnesium deficiency being part of the problem or just irritation of the nerves as you start moving by correct body mechanics. My hips had been bad for years, really bad for the past 2 1/2 years so I know I haven't been moving correctly. I can't soak aches or pains away yet either. The left hip won't be healed enough for a while since the area was so edematous after the first surgery and the damage so extensive for the repair of my leg.

Thanks for your kindness. Also for the reminder that this is such a long process. I will probably have to remind myself of that at times.

Blessings

Rita

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.