Busted, disgusted and can't be trusted

Posted , 10 users are following.

I read forum all the time, and I love the guidance.  I'm a 72-y/o lady.  I've been doing PT 2 - 3 times a week.  My issue now is I've lost enthusiasm.  For first few visits PT guy was wonderful.   Got into my knee so well, felt like he was playing a stringed instrument.  After that I was passed to another guy.  We do the same exercises every time, and I have to ask him to measure.  I have ins. that allows 75 visits per year.  I'm starting to have a crisis of faith in the process.  Should I take my business elsewhere?  I don't feel comfortable demanding first guy who is also owner treat me.  I haven't done any exercises at home all week bc of this, and my knee is no worse, nor any better.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

As well as doing PT with your PT guy you MUST do PT at home . Pointless having the op if you don't do the physio , it won't improve if you dont do it . The more physio you do the better it will get .

• Posted

There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...THE WORST.  I was stuck at -4 for weeks before breaking through.  This is NOT a linear process.  Just takes time and patience.
  • Posted

Run, go find someone else! I have progressed to my third PT. I want to be challenged, pushed and guided by a PT, not an assistant. Interview potential PTs and be very clear that you don't want to be passed off. Just remember to ask your dr for another prescription.

Don't give up, change it up!! Keep going, it's all about you!!!

• Posted

Talk to him and explain your mental state. Boredom might be setting in (not all that uncommon) and you just need to add some new stuff, change the routine or possibly even back off a little. Lets face it, PT isn't the most exciting way to spend a day. If you have ear buds, add some music or an audio book or just visit with some of the other knee nerds. Being a somewhat dirty minded 80 year old, I entertain myself with vicarious thoughts letting my imagination run wild with being involved with a couple of the young cuties who are either rehabbing torn acl's or are therapists. Of course the don't have to worry about me as I can't outrun any of them. I figure someon3 has to be the most pathetic example of humanity in the gym, it might as well be me. Talk to some of the other gym rats and see how they handle the boredom. I can guarantee you, you're not the only one with the problem.

• Posted

I would ask for him back. It's your knee. It's your money. They know how much insurance will pay. Don't let them milk your insurance for there benifit.

• Posted

Judy, you did make me smile with your title of your post:-))))  I do wish you all the best and keep up the exercise because everyone says that's SO important to a good recovery!  I don't even get pt with mine, so get a dvd and leaflet:-))))  Guess it's down to me then!

• Posted

Not everyone gets PT after discharge having had TKR in the UK.

​Just a leaflet and got to carry on  at home with the exercises! Have to get the enthusiasm from somewhere. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Judy

If you don't like your Physio I'm sure you can find another, unlike here in uk. Unless we pay privately!

Do your own thing too, there are loads of exercises on the 'net for after TKR.

I loved the post you wrote, you sound a lovely lady. What a good sense of humour too. Just what you need after this op.

Keep on keeping on! And smiling 😊😊

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.