Mpt joint replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can anyone help please. I have had 3 joint replacement on my big toe joint in the past 5 years all that have failed due to arthritis in that area this time the stylistic joint looks to be sitting well but clicks when flexed. Flextion is short and my sessomiod bones have deteariated into fragments has anyone had this problem and if so how did they resovlve this. I have 2 option now to have the whole joint fused or the sesamoid s taking out.joint replacement is no longer an option. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlene I had to have my sesamoid bone removed around 10yrs ago as it had restricted my mobility a lot.Since then I have had further surgeries on my feet to remove bunion's caused by removing sesamoid.Also had screws inserted but had to get them removed as they loosened due to having soft bones.I had total knee replacement a year ago.I only have surgery as pain management now I know it's not for everyone but for me it keeps me moving without all the pain.why suffer if you can get rid of it.I now have a much shorter big toe but well worth it in my opinion.Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Marilyn.

• Posted

Thank you marilyn iv been under the same consultant for 6 years i think he has ran out of ideas for me. somethimes i think its just me as his enthusiam towards me is becoming less and less now that the ops are becomg more and more unsucessful . iv always though there was a an under lying condtion that make my bine deterate so quick but no body seems to bother to find out. i have an underractive thyroid , a vit d defiency and a i am prenicious anemia and have jbs every 10 weeks for this . i just carnt help think that there is something else going on. beeing pain free just seems a dream thats never going to come true. fortuantly atm im finishing my textile degree and not constantly on my feet. but when i want to do anything else its a night mare. not to mention the aches and pains everywhere else due to weight shifting and gait change. im very happy to hear you have had a possitive out come and thank you for responding to me.

• Posted

Hi Charlene it could be hormone related.Is there any other family members with arthritis?I say this as that's how mine started I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and was so ill for months it then led to hysterectomy at 31.Back then(29yrs ago)doctors didn"t like to prescribe HRT so as I also have genetic link to osteo it really hit me bad.I eventually was given HRT as lost everything with hysterectomy.Done a lot of damage to my joints over the years and have needed 7operations in the last 6yrs and have more to come.Only pain management though but well worth it in my opinion as I still have some quality of life may have slowed me down over the years but I'm stubborn and won't let it win I will carry on down the surgery route.Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.