possible surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had 7 attacks of diverticulitis since June of 2016.  In each case I was given antibiotics.  Initially I was very opposed to surgery, but I can't go on this way. I have also been told that the more attaks I have, the more likely the colon is to rupture.  Has anyone had this surgery. Did it help?  Can you tell me what to expect.  I was told that I most likely would not need a pouch at least not a permanent one.  Any info would be appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 5 weeks post op. No stoma,very little pain, ,back to work next week. 55 years old and seriously not half as bad as anticipated.
  • Posted

Have you tried modifying your diet? I was two weeks from surgery, did some additional research, found a good gastro doctor, modified my diet. One year later no flares. It's not been proven that subsequent flares will lead to progressively worse flares, but quite the opposite. Did a surgeon tell you that or a gastroenterologist?

• Posted

Linda,

I'm happy to hear this... I have appointment on Wednesday with gastroenterologist and I am hoping that this will be the course for me as well.  This was only my first bout with it although it was called complicated and severe.  Surgery will be my very last option although I've been warned that I would be taking a risk and don't want to have it happen again and have to have emergency surgery. I have been trying to eat healthy, only really limiting cheese and greasy foods along with raw veggies.  I've been making vegetable soup so that the veggies are cooked well.  I've been eating yogart, eggs and chicken and fish but no red meat so far.  What is your daily diet like that has been working so well for you?  I will be having a colonoscopy in a few weeks so I guess we will know more of what we are dealing with then.

• Posted

Surgery NO me too. please can you explain what you by attacks.  what were they like as i'm new to diverticulitis this myself, i started in december as may help me with what to expect by attack, thanks 

• Posted

Hi, I do know someone who had 3 severe attacks and then surgery and she is so glad she had it. No issues since the surgery, that was last year.She did not need a pouch.  I have only had my first attack in january took me 6 weeks to recover fully, if it contines to flare up and surgery is suggested I will have it in a minute. Why suffer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.