Just diagnosed with SVT. Considering taking medication beta blocker. Anyone have any thoughts on th

Posted , 7 users are following.

Wondering if anyone having sucess on medication and if so which one

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I think it depends how bad and how frequently you get the attacks and if you can stop them yourself.When I was diagnosed 16 years ago, even though looking back I probably had it from 13, I am now 56,I had two major attacks that needed hospital Medes to stop them,  and then was put on beta blockers. The tablets made me feel rubbish so after a year or so I went for an ablation.Unfortunately for me it didn't work as they couldn't make my heart go into SVT. At that point they told me to come off medds and manage it myself. I only get about 4to 8 attacks each year and I can stop them myself, so for me I prefer to be med free. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm not wanting to take meds either but not wanting to keep going to hospital either😊

• Posted

I,ve been on Bisoprolol for 2 months now, they do stop my constant palpitations, i had a major attack of svt which i was hospitalised for, i will be going to Barts hospital soon to look into an ablation, i,m unsure about this.  Beta blockers do make me feel rubbish but control the sympoms, i don,t sleep which is debilitating since i,ve been on them but i never slept very well for many years. I don,t miss the constant palpitations though.
  • Posted

Hi,

If attacks are frequent and severe, ablation is the best option. It has 97% success rate as I understand. I had SVT for 8 years but undiagnosed and when it got diagnosed, I opted for an ablation. It has been almost a year since the procedure now, no episodes so far except for a couple of ectopic beats once in a while which is normal. As the frequency and duration of attacks increase with age, ablation is highly recommended. It is a moderately easy procedure in the age of advanced technology but success rate depends on how experienced the doctor is. Pls analyze your situation, take a couple of opinions from different doctors and you decide. However, SVT is NOT life-threatening.

Wish you get well soon!

• Posted

Hi Rebeca, sorry but how old are you? I am wondering because I am planning to have a second ablation, I am tired to take meds, but I do not know if ther is a risk if you are more older.
  • Posted

Have you tried a natural and healthy approach to this? I've had SVT for over 50 years and I've never taken medication or had surgery. Diet, Exercise, and a total focus on good health works. When I step out of the boundry of good health, I always have more episodes and they last longer.

• Posted

Hi I've taken bisoprolol for 4 months with good results no side effects. I take a low dose every morning 2.5mg because beta blockers lower blood pressure as well and my normal blood pressure is already low. I haven't ruled out ablation but tried this first. Everyone has different results on meds so I suggest trying a beta blocker to see how you do. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.