Knee Surgery Hospital Horrors and Highlights

Posted , 15 users are following.

This TKR recovery is a long haul!   We WILL get there in the end.  I am still looking back from time to time to my time in hospital.  I was fortunate to have a very positive experience, which was a relief because I have had some bad experiences in hospital in the past.  What I would like to suggest for this thread, as a bit of entertainment more than anything else, is for people to post ONE (just one!) hospital highlight and ONE (just one!) hospital horror.  Probably keeping fairly brief would be best if possible.  It could be entertaining!   My start is:

highlight...the first time I stood up.  I could feel my operated leg was wonderfully straight and it hasn't been that way for years!  

horror...the time I realised that my nightdress was just that little bit too short.  I hadn't factored in the fact that when using a walker you have to lean forward.  I also hadn't registered that my fellow patient had visitors as I trundled off to the toilet...leaning forward!!!  lol

1 like, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So which hospital did everyone go in for op as everyone seems to have had a good experience. 😀

• Posted

I had mine at SWLEOC (South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre)  but I am sure there are plenty of good places to go.   
    • Posted

I can recommend The Treatment Centre, Lister Hospital, Stevenage.

We seem to be quite spread out.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

It's brilliant that we've now got three different areas in the UK that are recommended by people on here!  I used Barlborough because it had been recommended to me over and over again, years back - I kept their details in a drawer until I wanted to use them LOL!  We are lucky that we can now a) do our research on the hospital we're thinking of, along with seeing what the surgeon generally does, and see reiews, and b) choose where we want to go!

• Posted

Yes the NHS when it does things well it does them VERY well. I must admit I can't fault the Choose & book system. There is usually a private hospital on the list too. But having gone to a private hospital, on NHS, in 2007 for arthroscopy & NHS for TKR 2016, apart from the private sector going straight to MRI, there is little difference in the care & procedures. Just that sometimes the facilities are not the same. Having said that the single room I had in the Treatment Centre was lovely, with en suite wet room too. Which was just as well when I was trying to go to the loo in the middle of the night, luckily they took me off the morphine pump on the Tuesday, op was Monday, & took away the drip Yay!!! It was just the fact that I must have looked like king kong's smaller, balder cousin!!! With a limp! As I couldn't bend the knee at all then!

I have a friend with back trouble & we always used to joke that she looks like something from the night of the living dead & I looked like planet of the apes, when we walk about. Hollywood here we come!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I'll look out for the film LOL!

I thought Barlborough looked very much like the private hospital that I'd been to for something else, and actually Peterborough hospital seems to be run on the same lines - people are welcomed and not an inconvenience at both of these - the staff genuinely try and do their best for each person!

• Posted

I think in all fairness, that most of the staff in the NHS do try to treat us as people not just 'patients' & with dignity, but it is increasingly difficult in today's climate!

My neighbour is a nurse, she trained after her boys started school. She'd always wanted to be a nurse. She is leaving the profession she worked hard to get into after 20 years service, it isn't just management that is the problem, the general public have become rude, nasty & belligerent. That's those that bother to turn up! (I can tell you all about that from the dental surgery!)! Obv all the good people on here excepted!! Unfortunately nurses get it from all sides.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I have to say I've got huge admiration for all hospital staff.  I think they do a difficult job and deserve our support!

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

Absolutely in the main doing good under immense pressure and shortages. I have been in the NHS 37 years and never seen it this bad. I have a great team who pull together well but their 37.5 hours week always runs over. There are recruitment problems as the young dont want to enter a profession that  is under so much pressurre.

The public on th whole are great but you are right a minority a have become arrogant,rude and abusive.You have to grow a thick skin and manage it and then come home and do your TKR reahab LOl!!!

All the best  Jan

• Posted

I have gained a new appreciation of the nhs! It is a terrible shame that some people don't think beyond themselves and take things out on staff. It is obvious that the shortcomings

Of the system make things challenging for staff too. It doesnt take much imagination. But I guess when people are at a low ebb or struggling they cannot look so far beyond themselves maybe?

• Posted

Golden Jubilee Hospital in Glasgow amazing surgeon and team
    • Posted

I was blown away by how fantastic the whole experience in hospital was, like yourself great surgeon and team, nurses, physios, all staff, amazing!
  • Posted

I've started a new dicussion as I don't want to take over Jenny's thread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.