Your suggestions to improve knee bend

Posted , 13 users are following.

Following this forum has taught me patience is needed post TKR. I am making slow progress but now happy with this. However I would like your suggestions/exercises on how to improve my knee bend. Is it worth buying any equipment? I am 3 weeks and 5 days out and understand it is still early days. I am in the U.K. Still can't lift leg. PT appointment again tmrw and my husband is insisting we tell them to allow me to recover at my own pace. They want to refer me back to consultant if I have not made signiifanct progress tomorrow. They do not have the same mindset as we have on this forum......slow and steady. Any suggestions please for exercises? 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I will lookup the website with the exercises and forward to you. I had in house therapy for two weeks. They came three times a week and then I was able to go outside therapy. I would not be too concerned with no being able to lift this early. Mine would feel heavy. Lol
  • Posted

My orthopedic surgeon prescribed Pennsaid (has 2X same med as Voltaran cream) . In US Medicare will only pay if prescribed by orthopedic doc.

Also I used my pup's leash to do heel slides, leg lifts, etc. He is a very large dog so the leash is strong and heavy. A Jack Russell leash won't work. Of course , once you grab the leash, the pup gets excited and expects a walk!

Ellen

• Posted

Hi well done, I was very keen to do as much as possible in the first few weeks and it really paid off in the long run, so good going!  I was lucky enough to be offered physiotherapy through the NHS which was great because of purse the therapists were seeing (and so was I) lots of people so had vast amounts of info and advice, can you get this. I also found YouTube a good source of exercise videos specifically for  TKR.  My main advice is to keep on with the icing, I kept a dedicated pack of frozen peas to place on top and a gel pack for the back of the knee, I always placed a towel between them and the actual flesh and raised my leg.  According to the info I was given icing prevents the inflammation building up and is therefore a really important part of the healing/exercise regime.  I am a year on and find my knee works perfectly, I still have pain when I rise up and when using stairs but that is the muscle and sinews still repairing and is no where as bad as the arthritic pain I have in my right knee! Good luck with your journey Cheers Su
  • Posted

Gravity could be the way forward. Get up on your dining table (with assistance) sit as far forward, so your under knee joint is on the edge and with your belt/strap/ what ever you have, let gravity lower the leg from the knee. You will probably feel like highering your hip/surgery side buttock, this will get less as your bend gets more. In a few weeks as your bend gets more use the belt strap as resistance and really build your muscles up.

Good luck

• Posted

Ah....GRAVITY!!!

Lie face down on your bed with your knees right near (but not over) the edge.  Lower your TKR knee...and let it hang there...just hang there...  Gravity will do the rest.  You want straight?  You'll get straight.  When you feel adventurous, put a two-pound ankle weight on the leg.  Even MORE gravity!!!

Sounds medieval...but it works.  All you have to do is lie there and scream into a pillow...

• Posted

I'll try it...

funny/ scream into a pillow.

• Posted

Hello- google Bob and Brad physical therapists. They have lots of YouTube videos that are helping me through my TKR.

• Posted

I second that Rob - came across their videos a few weeks back and they were great!!!!  Great to watch too - very cheerful:-)))
  • Posted

You've already had good advice and are early in the rehab process Everyone is different. Ice , elevate and cut back but don't stop if you see. I'm 22 weeks and looking back did too much initially but have done well.

Bend:

Buy an easy glider for heel slides from Amazon you can do whilst sitting. Found this good early on.

Sat on my dining table legs dangling and pushed op knee back with other leg to point of feeling the stretch ( uncomfortable bit of pain)but not very painful) Work up to 3 sets of 10 three times a day holding for 30 seconds.

Long sit on sofa and bring operated leg back pulling with your hands towards chest Hold for 30 seconds build up to 3 sets of 10 three times a day.

Lie on bed on stomach use a belt to pull your leg back again hold for 30 seconds building up reps.

I didn't do recumbent bike but from week 4 started my static bike to warm up and think this helped my bend. Started with 5 minutes building up. To help the bend you can cycle backwards. too but won't give you resistance but loosens things up.

At 8 weeks started pool exercises helped the bend.

Read Chicos exervise programme but adapt for you. I've not used the gymn but from about week 8 started using light ankle weights for strlengthening exercises. My physio was good gave me 2 A4 sides with a mix of strengthening and ROM ones. Whilst off work did three times a day uping reps.

Also using resistance bands you can buy cheaply on Amazon but too early for you. Loads of videos on U tube.

At 10 weeks went back to Aquatone two to three times a week. Now working full time so sometimes can't do as much.

In the UK we don't get as much supervision from Physio but I got good advice and it's up to us how much we do for a good outcome. Lol that's not always easy I know but I'm pleased although still working on extension. I'm trying to do 3 days strengthening as abductors and abductors still.need to be stronger. Working other leg too as it's feeling crepitusy ( if there such a word)😊

I guess lifting depends on strength and I'm sure your physio will give you gentle work to do We are all different and you are early in the game. I like quick results but this is slow and steady.

Drink at least 2 litres of water daily and eat healthy and listen to your body. If swollen rest,Ice and elevate and cut back but important to do as much ROM as possible.

Excuse the essay and all the best Jan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.