Is it safe to do plank?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been away for a while as I was told by my wise GP because the more I read the stories, the more I was nervous about my recovery.

I hope you all ladies are having good recovery.

I'm now over 6 months op with posterior repair. My recovery wasn't easy. But I'm feeling good now.

I would like to know about how people are backing to exercise.

I heard a sit up is not good idea. How about plank? I did 30 seconds. 3 times.

I feel bit... discomfort.

I appreciate any advices.

Tomoko

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you should be very careful about the plank. You should fully engage your core and pelvic floor before you attempt it. If performed incorrectly it can lead to vaginal prolapse
  • Posted

Have you tried doing chair yoga or doing it from a ball?

I'm only doing exercise in pool and walking. Like to know what others are doing as well?

• Posted

Thank you for the reply grace and sorry didn't mention but to Wardrobe too,

I used to do normal yoga before op but not after that. Can I ask when you started to jump in the pool? I'm bit scared of infection.

• Posted

I am 4 and a half months post op and have been back to excersise since about a month (pilates, core pilates and fitball) last week my instructor told me to keep my knees slightly bent when doing plank I instantly felt less pressure so I think that I'll continue like that for the moment. I feel a bit more tired than usual after my classes but a bit stronger during each lesson. I guess we just have to take it slowly.

• Posted

Thank you tam26. wow, you have been back to excerside a month after op.  

I have been wondering if the exercises from pilates are same as before op?  Your instructor gives you different one from other people?

• Posted

Pleasure Tomoko, it was 3 months after my op that I went back, sorry I wasn't clear when I said since a month. My urogyne, who is a professer , actually said that I could start excersise a month after the op but there was no was that I was ready at that stage. Good luck and hope that you recover  completely soon.

• Posted

I had colporrhaphy (anterior and posterior vaginal wall repair and cystocele repair) a year and a half after having had a total hysterectomy, hoping that's it forever.

• Posted

Has it eased all symptoms ? And completely lifted the bulges ? I need. Anterior repair x
    • Posted

No more bulges at all and no more symptoms. It's definitly worth it even if durung recovery one has moments of doubt, rest and patience are the answer, for me it was really worth it. Good luck x.

• Posted

Hi tomoko41609. I am 6 weeks post op for anterior and posterior repair. For the last year whilst having prolapse symptoms, I have continued with modified yoga and pilates. Anything that puts pressure on your pelvic floor is said to be a 'no, no'. I have done planks on my knees, anything abs associated, I have done bridge instead. My classes although so frustrating as I've not been able to do what I used to, have kept me going mentally and physically, and am looking forward to getting back to them again. Please very careful, and make necessary adjustments x

• Posted

Thank you Doolou. I understand you. I'm frustrated too from I have to be careful about everything after op. lifting, running, standing etc...  Hope you get fully recovery and get better than post op.

• Posted

I modify the plank . There is lots of advice on Michelle kenways website or Tasha mulligans Hab it in regards to exercise that is pelvic floor safe x
    • Posted

Your welcome . I have Tasha mulligans Hab it DVD too . Helps to strengthen core and pelvic floor x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.