Two surgeries and still problems

Posted , 8 users are following.

Dear ladies, hope you are doing fine, I've been away for some months cost I was feeling better, just replying some comments from time to time to new ladies.

I'm enrolled again in visits to doctors and I need your invaluable help again.

I'm the Spanish woman who had surgery 2 years ago (cystocele and hysterectomy) and 5 months ago (rectocele). Cystocele with mesh and rectocele with stitches. The first time I had surgery I only had my bladder and uterus very low. My gyn solved this quite well, no pain, no incontinence...

Some months after the first op, I developed a rectocele, it was mild but I wanted to get rid of it cos it was getting bigger and finally I decided to have the surgery. My gyn only used stitches to strengthen the vaginal posterior wall. After the op, I knew something was still wrong cos I felt almost the same that before, but my gyn told me that everything was fine.

Since march, my symptoms have been: incomplete defecation, difficulties having BM, constant feeling of ball in the back passage and recently also ball-feeling in the vagina and when I touch the anus, I feel like a donut under the hole, and the anus is too low. So uncomfortable that we have cancelled our holidays to NY (my little kid does not understand why...)

I saw a coloproctologist last month who told me that I only had my anus a bit loose but everything looked well. He told me: "happy you that your sphincter is fine!" Not happy with the diagnostic, I went to another doctor, who said the same, nothing found, and prescribed a defecography which I had yesterday. The nurse said that "something" had been found in the test but they will write it in a report that I will have tomorrow. Quite nervous about the outcome.

Ladies, the thing is that I have had two surgeries and I feel that I am worse than before. I am beginning to be depressed. I take care of myself and am in good shape: I have been doing core and kegel exercises under supervision of a physio.

What do you think? Anyone in the same situation?

Hugs ladies

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are still having problems, hope you get it all sorted soon and that you don't need any further surgery.

Pelvic floor unfortunately supports the weight of all the pelvic organs and once on our feet the weight of our body bears down too.

Pelvic floor surgery should last up to 10 years; so unfair when things go wrong.

Must admit that when I overdo things even a little I can feel the difference. I don't completely empty and seem to run back and forward all day as the pressure builds up. It can be very uncomfortable and passage seems to narrow.

Once I rest again it all seems to sort itself and return to my normal once a day. I took a really bad chest infection last month and coughing was definitely causing down pressure was worried that my repairs would fail. Anyway once the coughing subsided was hopeful that there was no long term damage. What I have noticed is the very slight bulge of the front wall is a little bigger than it had been previous to chest infection, but still hoping all is well as I haven't had any lower back pain or any leakage from my bladder so hopefully everything resettled again.

It is all such a worry when such a fine line between success and failure.

Fingers crosses and am praying all goes well for you.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Hello my little Spanish friend!

Lovely to speak to you again but I am sorry that your operation may have not worked. As you know my anterior repair has failed (& has got worse just lately) and I need a rectoenterocele repair. It is very difficult some days & I know how depressed it can make you feel.

I see Phyl has been on, she is doing really well (& also always offers good advice) and I'm sure there are other ladies that have improved but just get on with their lives & do not come back to the forum. We must remember that most of us on here are either worried about something (that's me!) or something has gone wrong (me again 😳wink but there must be many women who just have the surgery and get on with life. I wish we could hear from more of them!

I'm still putting off having further surgery but I will have to have it one day.

I hope you get on ok tomorrow, let us know what happens. PM me if you want to.

Good luck.

Xxx

• Posted

Good evening ladies, you are so right , when things are going wrong then we are constantly looking for advice and comfort and are so appreciative of theses forums and then we get on with life as things improve(for the lucky ones) and tend to consult less and less. I had a hysterctomy a year and a half ago and then anterior and posterior repair plus cystocele repair in January and things are getting so much better,. I'm not 100% back to my normal self yet but getting stronger slowly but surely. I definitly do not regret having the repairs and wish you all good health and good luck,xxx.

• Posted

That's really good to hear, so pleased you are doing well. X

• Posted

Hi ladies! You're very loyal to this forum! Thanks for your words. Phyl I see that you take care of yourself very well, always paying attention to your body messages. I think you are in the right way.

Imnotadoctor, yes sooner or later you will have to have the op but you are becoming an expert in the meanwhile. When your time comes I think you will be completely ready.

Tam26, I'm very happy that you are fine, thanks for answering also!

I will update when I see the doctor again with the defecography report (tomorrow) maybe my outcome help other women.

Hugsssssssss

• Posted

Sorry to hear that...

I have been there too after posterior repair. Feeling of a ball and anus sinking so low that impossible to sit. I think this is spasm of the pelvic muscles or so I was told. Try to relax the muscles, warm baths and if your surgeon allows you - massage the muscles trhough the vagina. I also had ruined vacation.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, gotbetter. I see my proctologist next Monday finally, I already have the results of the defecography but I don't dare to open the envelope. I'll wait till Monday and let the doc open it and explain the results to me... I will update then... hugs!!!!! (Still feeling a big ball inside the anus and the contrast liquid still stuck there... my poos are pinkish now... 😣wink hugs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.