UC

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with UC in may 2017

On meds prednisolne, Mesalazine, predsol enema

on meds for nearly one month getting better slowly, lost 8kg weight. Changed diet to low fibre, no alcohol

Only drinks water, coconut water , tea , herbal tea zinger turmeric, also on Auyur meds ( herbal)

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Glad you are starting to feel better. One thing though regarding prednidolone. Obviously you need to taper down the dosage under direction of your consultant but try not to take this longterm. I ended up with cataracts due to long term usage. Don't worry though by long term I mean years

I'm sure you are aware of all the other obvious things that help. If I have a flare up then I find eating several smaller meals is better

I do not take any supplements apart from prescribed iron in the form of ferrous sulphate tablets as I am quite often anaemic. Also the spat one plus liquid iron supplements are quite tolerable and now available on prescription. One thing that is definitely needed is a positive attitude and a sense of humour. These help me a lot. Anyway I wish you all the best and hope you continue along the road to rerecovery.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Susan for your support, I think we all need it , but yes most important be positive , yes my doc is my family friend

Special care lol

Yes will wind off pred

• Posted

Hi Vijay - I spent 4 years battling UC which is I found debilitating in the extreme. None of the treatment worked (similar to yours) and I ended up having surgery. Although the surgery was a serious step (I had no choice in the end) it has given me a new lease of life. I am healthier than before and take none of the nasty medication. I wish you luck, hope things improve for you but I can vouch that surgery is not the end of the world.
    • Posted

Hi , how long u had UC before surgery

Was were whole colon damage sorry to ask personal questions

I am new to this, thanks for your support

And it's good to know that you got your life back

I have been in flare for almost two months and can see slow recovery but this weekend had bad left side pelvic muscle pains , can't win , my BM improving

Thxs

• Posted

Hi Vijay - it was a 4 year struggle which included 2 significant flares although I do wonder if I'd had UC for longer. Things just got worse despite a good diet and all the usual drugs. When I had the first flare I was prescribed a descending course of Steroids which made me feel worse and had limited impact. 3 months later an emergency flexi sig showed my Colon to be completely inflamed and I was kept in Hospital. They tried a last ditch infusion of Infliximab which had no effect. People are terrified of surgery but for me it was just another form of treatment. In my case my health has returned to normal and I can manage the Stoma easily. I eat and drink what I want. My operation was in 2 part; the majority of the Colon removed in the first operation and the remainder 18 months later when the anus was sealed up. You can have a Pouch constructed but I decided against this. My health is good and I am drug free - both positives, but do not have a Colon. Someone said it's not "a one size fits all" and that's very true. All I'm saying is surgery is not the end of the world. Good luck

• Posted

Hello vijay i got diagnosed with uc in 2009, and on mesalazine aswell and predafoam also take prednisolone foam aswell and must admit this is the worse ive been in 8 years, cant get my condition under control everytime i come off steriods i flare 😞, what is auyur meds? I am goin to go back on the low fibre diet aswell again to see if i can get this under control before it gets worse, hope u have a speedy recovery

• Posted

Thxs Jenny

Auyur med is herbal medicine give to improve the digestive system but it does help, not been constipated, even this Auyur doctor tells me to get off my normal Med but I will take both and easy off slowly

Will post this Auyur docs website he is based in Melbourne but you Should have one near you , thxs

• Posted

I think you are doing all the right things! One size doesn't fit all and trial and error is essential! My advice is to keep a diary and log anything that upsets you and hopefully you will continue to manage! It's a horrible condition but don't let it get you down! Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks ruari , I sometimes get frustrated but I know there are worst cases and ppl are coping so I look at bright side

Miss my beer , been off alcohol first time over over a month now 😊Think it's time to take a break and get my gut fixed and have a vodka lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.