Reducing Triggers at Work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone!

I've had my TN for over a year (diagnosed at 22) now which started in my jaw/teeth on the left side of my face. I started a very high stress job in January, and now I am experiencing intense migraines at work behind my eyes. I knew it was a matter of time before the disease progressed, but I hadn't experienced a migraine in my entire life until one month ago. Since the migraine caused pain directly behind my left eye and intense nausea, I went to my normal neuro ophthalmologist (to rule out cornea issues) and she verified that it was most likely my TN causing the issues. It's becoming increasingly distracting at work- especially since the workload has steadily been increasing over the past couple of months. Any techniques for reducing the stress that is triggering my TN? I've maxed out how much I can take of Gralise (which turns me into a zombie and doesn't even touch my TN2), and I have a neuro appointment on Monday, but I have a ton of work to get finished by this weekend. I'm game for pretty much any idea at this point- whatever works.

Thanks guys!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Exercise worked well for me. It also allowed me to clear my mind and prioritize activities for work while I was zoning out on the treadmill. Thankfully my job also brought in a yoga instructor once a week - that did wonders to manage the stress. Also make sure u are eating well and getting plenty of rest each night. I found stress and lack of sleep really irritated my symptoms. I hope this helps!
    • Posted

Hey!! I workout often as well, but I don't normally run because the motion of running actually triggers the third branch of the trigeminal nerve for me. It kills my teeth. Did you notice this when you first started? And did it ever let up?

• Posted

Hi - I was diagnosed with TN in 2006 and have been suffering with this dreadful disease every day - just horrific.  In 2009 I had MVD surgery (micro vascular decompression) - it is brain surgery.  My surgery was unsuccessful but I know of 3 people who have had this surgery and now live pain-free lives  I wish I could offer you more positive remarks but the surgery came to my mind as soon as I read your post.  Sorry for what you are going through but know that this is a wonderful group and people are very caring and compassionate to offer suggestions.  Just thought of one thing - in the area where your pain is apply a very warm/hot towel to the area and t will cut down on your pain.  This works for me.

• Posted

I am definitely trying to avoid brain surgery for as long as possible. I'm such a wimp when it comes to surgeries, ha! I use handwarmers in a headache wrap when I get a migraine so that does seem to be a common aid. Thank you for your kind words!

• Posted

Hi Erin, i am so sorry your going through this. Maybe you could try deep breathing exercises. For me the only thing that works are anti anxiety meds which are addicting but i need them to cope. I came down with this to just about a yr ago. I hope you find something that works.
  • Posted

Hey guys!! Sorry my email hasn't been giving me the updates for this board- I wonder if it's going to my spam... Anyway, thanks for all of the responses! I'm on 1800 mg of Gralise right now, but I think I'll be asking to switch since I've maxed it out and the breakthroughs won't let up. I do use the hot compress at work and that does seem to help a little bit, but now that it's summer, I'd like to get away from it. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.