Sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had a sigmoidoscopy my consultant wants to do one to look at the DD because he couldn't get results of colonoscopy on computer due to the fact I went to NHS for it and was seeing him private. The reason I ask is he said for me to have it without sedation he feels it would be better for me. I had sedation with my colonoscopy so would like to if it hurts

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It didnt hurt me... but I took the sedation.Anything that relaxes you is going to be beneficial to you .I would go with mild sedation...its your choice but sedation was better for me.Good Luck Susan.
  • Posted

Hi yea I had a sigmoidoscopy without sedation as I've got a colostomy due to be reversed and to be honest there's nothing to worry about its pretty simple not painful just a bit uncomfortable but I was worried about it without sedation but needn't too it's really not that bad tbh hope that eases your mind mary x

• Posted

Hi yea I had a sigmoidoscopy without sedation as I've got a colostomy due to be reversed and was worried about it without sedation but needn't too it's really not that bad tbh bit uncomfortable but nothing to worry about hope this eases your mind mary x

• Posted

Yes, had one done in April this year without sedation, a little uncomfortable but not painful & the person doing the procedure was constantly asking if l was okay. Gas & air was available if l needed it but l found it really interesting to watch the screen. Not every day you get to see your insides & the cause of the pain & discomfort. Good luck.

• Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy recently. Every one is different and if you can

tolerate a colonoscopy you should be fine . For me it was agony, I found

the air they pump in extremely painful and after a while I had to ask for

it to be stopped, which they did. It's pretty quick, you'll be fine.

Good luck.

• Posted

I had sedation with my colonoscopy so was ok But going to try the sigmoidoscopy without Hope I can cope x
  • Posted

Hi Susan

Glad to hear you are finally getting some progress and further testing.  The prep for a sigmoidoscopy is the same as for a colonoscopy, but it is a less invasive examination, as it only goes part of the way, not all the way round the colon.  However - depending on the location of your diverticula, it can be painful.  My 1st one 16 years ago, they had to stop, even though I was sedated, because of the location and the pain in trying to get the scope past.  Also the gas pumped in can be uncomfortable - like bad period pains.  Knowing what an anxious person you are, I think you would be more relaxed with sedation rather than without, less likely to tense up, and easier for the scope to go round.  Does your consultant appreciate just how very anxious you have been, or is he basing his opinion solely on medical reasons about sedation?  It would be worth asking him on what his advice is based.  Good luck

• Posted

I think he based it on meeting me for the first time last night. He said it's up to me to make a decision. I don't know when I am having it so will think about it Thankyou for your reply

• Posted

Me too,  Had the sigmoisoscopy without sedation. Could feel it and made me a bit bit queasy but it was soon over and done. Very interesting to watch on the screen too. Hope it goes well for you,.Roy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.