"Normal" thyroid results...Not so sure

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone, I could really do with some advice/opinions here. 

In a nutshell, My health is a complete and utter mess. Both mentally and physically. 

General Anxiety disorder & depression symptoms

Hair loss

Extreme fatigue ( I have no idea how I managed to finish this university semester)

Shaky hands

Fluctuating weight gain and loss... Basically as thyroid sufferers you understand the general gist of all my symptoms.

Researching all these symptoms online made me come across Thyroid related issues which shocked me as I fitted them to a T. So I went to my GP To get a FBC and Thyroid test. My Serum Folate was low so I have started treatment.  My other results are as follows

Initially they only tested TSH which came back as 3.9. But I managed to get my GP to boom me in for a more in depth thyroid test and the second TSH test came back as 4.1  (Range 0.4-5.50).

FT3 4.6

FT4 18.7

So basically the doctors think these are normal???? Can this be right?

I have been to visit two GP's who instantly wanted to dismiss any thyroid problem and give me a shed load of antidepressants like they're going out of fashion. I'm due to see another GP who from experience is more helpful. Maybe he will try me out on some thyroid medication to see if it helps?

Anyone have any advice for me?

Kind regards

Tom

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have your calcium checked also vitamin d levels and pth. Your symptoms sound like mine and I had a parathyroid adenoma. There are other ladies on this sight that can explain things better than I can but before you give into anti depressants check out these other things.
  • Posted

I can only wish you the best of luck finding a doctor to help you sort out what's wrong. It may or may not be thyroid related, the symptoms you mention are fairly general.. , I have the same problem of symptoms being dismissed...(although I am diagnosed with hashimotos thyroid). Despite the meds, I am still hypothyroid - low body temp, slow heart, cold semsitive,  hair loss, dry skin, etc etc. BUT my bloods are all in range and the doctors insist that my thyroid function is fine.  I know it's not.  However, in your case, you have not even been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder and I doubt any doc is going to put you on thyroid meds as a trial!  BUT I strongly suggest you request Thyroid ANTIBODY tests. And see how they come back. That will show if you have any autoimmune thyroid dysfunction going on, for a start. Good luck, I know it;s horrible feeling so bad.

• Posted

Tom, it does sound like your thyroid blood tests are in the normal range, so I can understand the drs not wanting to give you thyroid medications.  There are quite a few things that can cause your symptoms, among them hyperparathyroid.  Ask your dr to please do a calcium, parathyroid hormone and vit D test.  They call the parathyroid hormome PTH, so you want to get your calcium, PTH and Vit D tested in one blood test.  If the results come back with calcium and PTH high, even slightly high and vit D low, then that would indicate a parathyroid adenoma, which would give you the things you have plus brain fog.  Google hyperparathyroid and you will see a list of possible symptoms.

Anything affecting your endocrine system, which includes your thyroid, parathyroids, adrenal glands, pituarary gland and some others, can give you similar symptoms.

Good luck.

• Posted

Before I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism  (adenoma) I had had raised blood calcium for 7 years that I know of.  I was treated, successfully, with antidepressants during that time, so don't rule out the antidepressants.  Just make sure they give you happy pills, not sleepy pills....as the antidepressants seem to fall into those 2 categories.  When you already have exhaustion, sleepy pills are no help.

I ended up getting hyperthyroid (Graves Disease) after I had had my adenoma for 7 years and the endocrinologist I got sent to see diagnosed my adenoma.  I have had my thyroid and my adenoma out in one operation, 5 years ago.  Now on thyroid meds for the rest of my life.

• Posted

This is classic non-thyroidal illness or a conversion disorder.  Didn't either of your GPs comment on the TSH discrepancy... elevated TSH with grossly elevated FT4 and slightly elevated (near normal) FT3?  Have you had your iron levels checked?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.