What 9 weeks of recovery looks like for me.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well, here is a look at my 9 weeks. I know everyone's journey is not the same. We all progress differently. But maybe we can all relate in some ways, too.

* first night in bed last night! No recliner.

* still take a norco at night and 1 before pt

* sleep is still pretty bad

* pain is tolerable, feels like 100 tight rubber bands

* ice leg about once a day at home

* pt three days per week

* ROM is about 115 bend and -3 straighten

* use brace to help straighten 2-4 hours a day

* still cry easily, about once every other day

* incision looks good, is sensitive, and numb

* read this forum for support daily

* don't feel like myself yet, just not joyful

* have to go back to work July 24

* starting to "see the light on the other side"

Well, for what it's worth, that's my progress report.

And I do feel like I am making progress. Some days I say I don't feel like it but in my heart, (and my knee) I know I am. I know I will be okay. It's taken 9 weeks to get this far and I have a long way to go. I'm glad you are here with me on this journey.

4 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Aren't those light bulb moments great, glad your feeling more up beat, 9 weeks is a short time after a knee op, time passes slowly but your knee will only improve with time so hang in there

• Posted

It makes me feel happy to hear "9 weeks is a short time" because I think....yes, in the whole scheme of things, it really is just that. 😊

• Posted

Seems like ages when you are in it though! 😀😁😂😃

• Posted

Lol yeah that sums it up for me as well and thanks will keep this for when I get my other leg done in a few months I'm 6 months down the line and I'm reasonably happy with my on going progress good luck xx

• Posted

"Reasonably happy". Exactly, Mary.

Keep in touch when your 6 months is here.

• Posted

Your ROM is great!

The joy does come a bit later!

Tight bands stick around i think for a while !

What a great update...

Its all moving on! 😊

Well done to you!

Can you get in a bath? So nice and relaxing and good for improving bend with the moist heat!

• Posted

It does take the joy out of life for a long time!  Comes back in the end though!!!

• Posted

Well done, sounds like you are on you way!

?I don't know about 9 weeks, at 10 weeks I had to get an MUA to regain lost bend due to scarring, so my clock was set back after already running slow.

?16 weeks now, sleeping better, still got those "tight rubber bands" a long way still to go for me, other leg not great but not considering it at this point unless I finally see the light from first one.

?Thank you for sharing your experiece, whilst we all have different recoveries it is good for others to see that it takes a long time to heal but we get there bit by bit.

• Posted

Sounds just about right to me.  The crying is post-op depression...also very normal in patients who have lost an original body piece.  Jedi Mind Trick...let it go.

Return to work in 3 months is very "iffy".  Depends on the type of work you do, hours on your feet, etc.  Most who do this encounter lots of pain and swelling every day.  Need to go home, ice and elevate, try to sleep and then get up the next morning and repeat.  Use ibuprofen as your anti-inflammatory plus some Voltaren Gel (topical anti-inflammatory; RX in the US; check for drug interactions) daily and nightly.  A difficult, though not impossible, path for most who attempt it.  I'd start exercising quads, glutes and core ASAP to build up the strength required to support the new knee. That might give you a fighting chance as a 5-6 month return is more common.  Again...all very individual.  Own your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your responses. They mean so much. Chico, I'm going to go find some Voltaren Gel today! Martinarvelo, I'm happy your joy is back. Mine is returning bit by bit, too. And Cynthia, you are making progress also. Yay! I haven't tried a bath yet, Jenny, but I should. I've gone swimming and that is wonderful. Now, we should all just get

together and go out for pizza! Meet me in California? 😊

• Posted

How I would LOVE to go to California again!!!  Our days of travelling to far flung places are sadly over, though, as my husband now has parkinson's and early onset dementia. . .but the memories are there!  Of all the states we've visited in the USA, California comes second. . after Wyoming! . . or maybe Colorado . . .Oh well, love them all really!!!

• Posted

Good on you Need1knee, that's great progress and coupled with a great outlook!

The best cream I've found is made by a company called Orion and called Peanut oil 5% in Aqueous Cream. It's great on the incision site. You'll find it online or a chemist can make it up or get a tub of ordinary cream and add some peanut or olive oil. Stops the sensitivity and keeps the scar soft. It's been great for me! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.