Spinal block

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm having knee op on the 26 July really worried about having the spinal block will they put me out if I ask plus how long is the average time off work I'm giving myself 3 months

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some people may be ready after twelve weeks, others will still be struggling. difficult to know until you have had the operation and several weeks have passed.  re the spinal, whether they would give you a general instead is something you would have to talk to the anaesthetist about. the spinal is OK. . it really doesn't hurt that much although the idea is unpleasant, but I would make sure that they are going to keep you partly sedated at least.  I wasn't, and it's a long and boring operation and in my opinion better not to be aware of the noises etc. going on around you. I think I had a very slow surgeon . . . it seemed like an eternity, but was in fact three and a half hours.  Freezing cold in theatre as well!  Hope it all goes well

• Posted

Yes mine was 3 hours, must have had the same surgeon lol, and yes it is a little boreing but on the plus side you feel great after and you dont have to wait to come round
  • Posted

I would think (hope) they would give you general anesthesia if requested. They gave me a really good sedative before hand and I was out before I even reached the OR. Can't imagine being awake but not feeling for the entire proedure. Although my surgery was only like an hour and a half from what I was told.

I would speak to your surgeon and the anesthesiologist. There may be a reason why your doctor only wants a spinal block.

• Posted

Depends a lot on where you are. . . . Being totally awake is not a lot of fun . . . no pain of course, no feeling at all . . but cold, and noisy, and watching the clock and wondering how much longer!!!
    • Posted

I know really freaking about it I have a consent forms to sign on the 25th so will talk to them then they say it's quicker recovery

• Posted

It does sound scary on the nerve block. When I had my surgery, I got nerve block first before wheeled into surgery and then they put me under and surgery took 35 mins. I woke up in recovery room about 10 mins after that. Nerve block lasted almost 10-12 hrs.
    • Posted

that was quick!!! I just wonder why my surgeon took three and a half hours. . No wonder I lost so much blood!!!  And I know he didn't nip out for drink, because I could hear it all going on . . I know all about their weekend activities etc. . . where they were going, what they were going to do . . . Boooo r i n g

• Posted

that must be different from what they gave me then . . I was out of theatre by quarter to five, and by six O clock . . . least said the better!

• Posted

My doctor doesn't use a tourniquet. He had knee replacement two years ago and sad the worst part was tourniquet pain. He used something else to control bleeding.

• Posted

reat idea to have a surgeon who has had TKR!  i agree with him.  the very worst pain was the meralgia paresthetica, caused by the tourniquet.  It is really unbelievable. . . 
    • Posted

He's awesome.  He totally understands all the different sensations.  I have some scar tissue and he said don't worry, I can go in arthroscopicly and break that up.  Only takes about 15 minutes.  He isn't sure I'll need it but he's always so positive and confident.  

• Posted

I had  the spinal and nerve block.  I was worried about both but have to say I felt neither.  It was the easiest surgery I've ever had.  No nausea, I was awake right after, felt semi normal and my leg didn't hurt because of the nerve block.  You won't feel anything so don't agonize about any of that.  You'll do fine👏

• Posted

Oh yeah, to add, they gave me something to relax and sleep, I don't know what.  I dozed during the nerve block and when they wheeled me into the operating room I wanted to be aware so I could look at all the instruments.  I looked at one person and boom, woke up in recovery.  My surgery took 1:15 minutes.  The nerve block laste d well into the next day.  I really didn't have a lot of pain until I got home after the three hour ride, ouch.  

I had a long discussion with the anesthesiologist before the surgery and she lined out all the info about general and spinal.  I always woke up nauseous from general so I choose spinal.  You have to make that choice but they do so much to make you comfortable.  Don't worry. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.