What is too much advil?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Advil with my RA for about 2 to 3 months. I take 2 in the morning, and that's it. A friend said I should not take them and to stop. It's been a couple days now and I'm in so much pain without them, can anyone tell me what they take or do for the pain? Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi you havent mentioned about the other medicines you are taking. Only a doctor can tell how much advil you should take depending upon the severity of pain in ur joints and the body in general. Besides specific RA medicines some pain killers are also prescribed as needed. Consult ur doctor who knows ur condition
  • Posted

Is your friend a Rheumatologist Why should your friend tell you to stop?You take advice from your GP or your Consultant or Rheumy nurse,not pals, they know best.And if your now in pain you were obviously taking the right medication
  • Posted

Hi Deborah, I agree with the others. All medicines have side effects - as we in the RA community know only too well! Talk to your Rheumy. Good luck. Carol (UK)
  • Posted

Pain killers need to be taken regularly, not just two in the morning. Advil are a brand name version of Ibuprofen. 

Check the back of the packet for how much you can take daily, and watch if you are mixing with other medication. 

Talk to your chemist and get him to check all your medication including over the counter or supermarket medication, to make sure you have nothing that conflicts and or doubles up your medication. That could be fatal.

I take Panadol Osteo, as per my Rheumo's advice, they are a slow release tablet and I take the maximum dose daily, that keeps me upright and sane from the pain of RA, as i cannot take Advil, or the like, upsets and burns my stomach.

She explained to me about building up a level in your blood stream and not to stop taking them when I feel a little better, as you do some days, keep taking them if they do turn out to be the right medication for you.

• Posted

I agree with other comments given to you already.   The NSAIDS are not advised over age 65 ( I think that's the age) b/c of increased risk of heart attack or stroke so check with your doctor or nurse.   If allowed to  take them/ take with food.  They can irritate the stomach.    But doc's advice is the best 

• Posted

I tyry not to take anti inflammaries, not good for the liver.   I take Tapantadol 150s twice a day and add Tramadol when required which is pretty well everyday.   The others are right, listen to the Medical people not the armchair experts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.