Getting into panic mode

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any suggestions please. Had bx all my life. No nasty bugs yet. No iv's yet. Traditionally have been treated with Amoxycillin 3g sachets, Co amoxyclav 500mg, Cipro (only twice) and now Doxycillin 100mg. Stopped Cipro for non serious bugs but apart from that these other antibiotics have stopped working for me. Can anyone suggest another antibiotic that they have found useful. Would be grateful for your help.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Best advice is to get a pulmonologist who is experienced in bronchiectasis to advise and couple that with a lot of the practical experience members have of all the different types of antibis used to treat the disease in the context of their own particular symptoms and hearing about the range of potential side effects.

I'm not going to just list down the names of antibis blind. Please trawl through the last say 5 pages of forum topics (covers the last year or so) and you will get a far better appreciation than one topic where mebers punt antibis off the top of their heads at you. Start with this one:

"Symptoms started appearing 1 months after taking antibiotics and it is progressive" on page 4 and move on to "Azithromycin to do or not to do" on the same page.

There has been a similra thread where we did punt a list of antibis but that was probably not the best of ways to go about responding on reflection.

Personal experience has nbeen taht I ran out of confidence in exactly the same drugs that you did. I moved onto levafloxacin, because it had handled an early pneumonia outbreak I had very effectively, I then flirted with moxifoxacin but gave that up when my Thai pulmo consultant (I live there and have taken advice/treatment in both Thailand and UK) expressed some dismay at me choosing one that Thai doctors reserve as a last ditch rescue oral tab (there are of course a whole range of nebulised options before stuff gets to the last ditch stage and then IV beyond that - possibly even some stuff that didn't work earleir will come round again).

I have been on Azithromycin prophylactically 3x per week for over a year and it has been brilliant. Others can't stomach (pun intended) the side effects.

Horses for co- no plug-in one-hit solutions suiting everyone. Do some research (even if you can get a good pulmo). Come back and ask in detail when you have some ideas what might suit and come back with where you are coming from - nationality and the bits of bronchX that are troubling you. 

I'm trying to be helpful so ignore any tones of trucculence that may have appeared to creep in early on - not meant but I could see it being read that way. I'm a Yorkshireman and sometimes the directness spills out!

• Posted

Steve, thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond in such length and depth to my query. I am just  about to peruse the pages that you mentioned and hopefully will get some useful pointers. I have read many times that Azithromycin has been a lifeline for so many people and I do hope that when I try it, I will be able to tolerate it well. Also good to know that nebulised options are effective. As an aside I have visited Yorkshire on several ocassions and found the people to be delightful....yourself being no exception! Wishing you well with you continued Az. Take care.
    • Posted

Steve....have been looking for your suggested posts. Found "Az to do or not to do" but can't find "Symptoms start apearing 1 month after antibiotics". Any further advice about how to find it?

• Posted

Try this other way:

Google 

Symptoms start apearing 1 month after antibiotics patient

I got it a second time around that way (UK and Thai google versions got to it as the second listing) but of course google is clever and may well have prioritised it for me through some kind of personalisation architechture. Otherwise click on discussion forums in the path you see under the masthead of the page you are looking at and flick through the more recent pages of archive

Hope you find it!

• Posted

Thanks Steve....found it! It made for interesting reading! The first course of Cipro I had, gave me no bother. The second was quite different! I experienced extremely high anxiety to the point of nausea. Put it down to a side effect and assumed it would cease when I finished the course. 5 days later, I was just as "wired up" and decided it was time to see a doctor. She prescribed Sertraline for anxiety and depression. ( I had neither before.) IT appears that Sertraline increases anxiety dramatically until your system gets used to it.. That problem continues. But after reading your recommended post, everything has fallen into place. I now know it was the Cipro was the cause of my anxiety. It's really good to finally have an explanation! I hope and pray that I never have to use that antibiotic again. It has been a horrendous experience. Sorry about the rant....but thank you again for helping me. Take care and Keep well.

• Posted

Hello friends . I hope to help you

I have bronchiectasie since childhood and found a treatment that can help you for those who have the futility of antibiotics. It is bactrim 480 mg and soledermal 40 mg. But after 14 days of treatment, the infection returns.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.