AF and swollen feet

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm worried about 82 year old dad, he has AF and is on all the relevant medications for this, as he has also had TIA, my worries are that for the past week his feet are swelling during the day, and burning, they are not swollen first thing when he gets up, it happens within a few hours, is this heart failure ? I've spent so much time on Google (which isn't advised) I think he's had it, am I just panicking, please be honest with your opinions, even if it's bad news xx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Janet I'm certainly no expert on this matter, if he has Afib, is it persistent, or occasional ?

WIth Afib the heart doesnt pump so well, so this might have the same effect as a "Failing heart"  has he ha d an echocardiogram ? that usually shows the condition of the heart.  I'd speak with his doctor, I certainly wouldn't consider him "doomed" 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes his AF is persistent, it's always there. He is on dijoxin and rivaroxaban, it's just these past few days his feet keep swelling up, but never has before and read that this could be heart failure, he has had numerous ECG's all show permanent AF even with his meds x

• Posted

Hi Janet,  I can only speak for myself but, I was told that my swollen feet and ankles are a side effect from the Bisoprolol 10mg that I take for AFib.  However, on saying that, it's always wise to get these things checked to be on the safe side. xx

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, did you get that side effect straight away ? My dad has been on dijoxin and rivaroxaban for a fair while but had only recently had the swollen feet ? x
    • Posted

Hi,  It was when the dosage of my tablets got increased that I noticed how swollen my feet were.  It also mentions it as a side effect on the leaflet that's enclosed with my tablets.  Perhaps your dad needs his dosage adjusted to something that suits him?  Or different medication maybe?  xx

• Posted

Can't comment on the swollen feet, but for what is worth, my 84 year old mother has been in permanent AF since 2002. Will enquire about swollen feet and ankles when I see her next.

• Posted

I'm an 82 year old dad and have suffered paroxysmal af for about 13 years and am prescribed 2.5mg Bisoprolol and 2.5mg Insapamide for bp control..

A while ago i decided I could do without the Indapamide, a bad move as it turned out, because my feet and lower legs started to swell,Suspect hot weather didn't help.

Indapamide is a diuretic so I restarted  it and my swelling has now gone.

So does your dad take a diuretic?

• Posted

Should read Indapamide.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, no he doesn't take a duretic of any type, just the AF meds, blood thinners and blood pressure tabs. His feet are fine upon waking then start to swell (left one more than right) and sometimes burn, occasionally freezing. He also lost 3st in 6 months without trying (had lots of tests for cancer etc) all clear, then over last 2 months has gained 9lb, I read that this could also be heartbroken related ?

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your dad Janet, but I think if he can get the doctor to prescribe him diuretics you will see a marked improvement in him. He will need to be near a toilet for the first few days at least because when I started mine, I was going every 15 minutes, so beware!

But seriously, I think this will help.

• Posted

My concern with swelling feet arises from recent research showing heart failure kills far more AF sufferers than stroke.  Get expert advice.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, his ECG's always show his AF as it's permanent, but would an ECG show heart failure ? I worried when I read that swollen feet can be a symptom of heart failure, but my dad seems to be in denial, believing it's a bad circulation problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.