struggling to carry on!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have not had any diagnosis but was told my b12 level was "on the cusp". I get anaemic and take iron tablets then stop when my levels are normal. I have been very low vit d for about 8 years. I am struggling so much right now and have developed an abnormal gait, my legs buckle and I kind of bounce when I walk..i am so tired and just find going to work too difficult and keep having to take time off. I get out of breath just fixing the bed. I have seen a neurologist recently who said I have a neurological condition but not a disease, although I do have an auto immune disease. I keep getting pins and needles in various parts of my body including the intimate parts and burning legs, particularly at night. I am getting so forgetful, word finding is awful! I have had a few vertigo attacks and dizziness and lose my balance. I get bloated and can't eat much, but rarely have any appetite these days. I just don't know what to do and feel I am being seen as a hypochondriac, even though docs have seen my dreadful head sweats and fast heart rate-normally 120 bpm, on several occasions. It is the fatigue I am struggling with. My house is a mess and I feel like I'm letting my family down so bad! Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. I never asked my levels but just started taking b12 pills when I was told they were on the cusp, but I believe a lot of scientists say that our levels should be a lot higher than docs say is normal. Thanks in advance

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy

Even I had same problem. U better start taking b12shots. I took it for 3months every other day. U will start feeling better. Its a slow process and it takes upto 6months just to feel better..

• Posted

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

"Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages".

If you can "see yourself" in any of the above people I think you need to discuss this with your doctor together with a list of your symptoms and ask to be treated in accordance with the N.I.C.E guidelines for the treatment of Vitamin B12/Folate Deficiency.

I don't think I will be allowed to post the link here but will send it to you in a private message. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.