Vallium addiction

Posted , 5 users are following.

My partner is addicted to vallium and I am looking for advice on him trying to come off it. He is severely abusing it and is taking up to 3000mg per day, usually 1000mg at a time. What is the best way for him to taper down? And are there any supplements or over the counter meds that can help with withdrawals? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi smile just wondering, is this your choice or his?
    • Posted

It's his choice to try and come off it, the addiction has taken over his life completely, he's spending £30 per day on it, has lost access to his 2 kids from his previous relationship because of it and to be honest I'm loosing trust in him around our 6 week old baby. hw has tried several times to go cold turkey and each time the withdrawals have been too much for him to handle

• Posted

Wow then I agree with the other person who commented, he will need to get medical assistance or it will be extremely dangerous, cold turkey on valiumium not an option.. doctors and a drug and alcohol team are essential, and it wont be pretty sad
    • Posted

Autocorrect.. *valium
    • Posted

It's so hard to try get help in the area we are. His gp has basically told him he got his self in this situation and as he is buying the tablets he simply should buy less and reduce the amount he takes which sounds so simple but is not at all. It's tough watching him try and fail over and over to beat it, I fear if he doesn't the am out he takes is going to kill him 😔

• Posted

That's awful of the gp to say sad is there a drug and alcohol place at your local hospital? it needs to be someone who understands the addiction. shame on your gp.. if it was so easy to stop everyone would be doing it! sad

• Posted

He will need to get help with this it will be very dangerous to do it without medical support. How long has he been taking this amount ?
    • Posted

It's has crept up to this amount over the last year. He doesn't really know where to start with medical help, we can't afford private rehab and his gp so far has been somewhat unhelpful

• Posted

Is there a charity group he could contact maybe? there are some groups that offer counselling and they should be able to refer him on maybe?
    • Posted

I will look into what is around in our area, thanks. It seems at the moment he just isn't getting any help even though he asks and asks, I really worry it's going to take something serious to happen before he gets the help he needs

• Posted

Hi rebecca 

valium( known by its generic name diazepam) is highly addictive .. and is normally only prescribed for short term use at dosages of between 2mg and 10mg doses ... its normally unusual for anyone to take more than 30mg daily in divided doses so 3000mg a day is off the chart and could set some challenges for any gp in terms of reduction 

as no gp or hospital would prescribe such massive amounts i presume your partner is buying it one the street ... and the problem with that is you dont know what "active ingredients" are within each tablet .. it could be 50% diazepam and 50% amitriptyline ... it varies and because of that your partner really needs a blood screen/urine test to determine what other medication may be in his system 

tapering will be long ... at 3000mg your looking at between 10mg and 50mg weekly and even that may be too much ... and since theres no replacement medication ( such as methadone for heroin addiction ) your looking at a minimum of 3 years for a safe taper from 3000mg(3g) of valium ) 

in regards to supplements theres nothing really ... however during a taper your partner could take "valerian root" which is known as the "natural valium" ... you can find this at many chemists or health food stores ... also vitamin B12(thiamine) is good for anyone with any addiction 

but whatever you do .. dont allow your partner to simply go "cold turkey" .. from 3000mg of valium the results could be fatal or at least a hospital addmission .. 

NOTE : you do need to seek professinal help with any taper .. this is important and if your gp is reluctant to help then go to the "FRANK" website to locate your local drug service who will be able to help 

i wish you and your partner all the best and keep us posted on his recovery 

bri 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.