paroxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on 60mg paroxetine for years. I have been feeling anxious and was put on sick for a two week period, very tearful, feelings of anxiety and sadness and tiredness. Wondering if anyone has any help. I am not feeling like going back to work!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol, I can relate to those feelings, despite being on Paroxetine. Please seek help - from a Dr, or whoever. I came off it in the year 2000 as I was in a bad way. Started on Effexor. I felt worse then. So went back on Paroxetine and appreciated how much they help.  Went back on 50 mg to give room for adjustment. Sadly had breakdown in 2014 so back on 60 mg. Your Dr may recommend taking other anti-depressants alongside. I took Mirtazipine at night until a couple of years ago. They definitely helped. I wish you luck. Please don't suffer in silence.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it does help when I know I am not the only one. Every time I talk to GP they say wait until the summer to reduce as you will feel better then. I just feel like I will have to take tablets forever. I will get help thanks.
    • Posted

Is that all the advice your GP will give?! In a way they are right - Summer is probably a better time to reduce - but only if you are ready. Anxiety and depression are awful. I also have OCD which is why Paroxetine was considered best for me. Been on it since December 1994 - a very long time! Will probably have to take for the rest of my life, but I have accepted that. I'm starting some counselling tomorrow (after waiting 9 months!), as now diagnosed as having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. That's a new one for me! Sometimes it seems never-ending, and hard to stay positive. But we all have to keep fighting. I hope you manage to get better treatment than you've had. You are not alone!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have been on paroxetine since 1993, so like you. It is hard sometimes as I am more forgetful, feel insecure at times and not able to express myself or feel confident in my job.

Hope you feel better soon too.

• Posted

Hi carol!

I was put on Paxil in 2001 and this year started having many of the same issues you have. The Paxil ended up pooping out on me. I tried to take a higher dose but to no avail. So I was switched right over to fluoxetine. I'm in my 7th week of taking that but not anywhere near where I want to be yet. Do you think maybe the Paxil pooped out for you too? It could definitely happen at 24 years. There are much better options as far as meds go, so definitely talk to your doctor about your options.  No matter how bad I feel right now, I'm so happy getting off the Paxil. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your post. I have been on 60mg (highest dosage) for years. I have been told I can be weaned off gently but worried I might get worse so haven't done it yet. I took the sister drug to paroxetine which is Fluoxetine (prozac) before paroxetine but it made me feel faint and couldn't take it. I haven't had problems with paroxetine other than worried I have taken them for ages but guess I need them now.

• Posted

Has anybody ever thought : Maybe it's the drugs that are your problem ?  I've been on Paroxetine before......15 years on it....and now I am OFF of it  for more than 5 years......I dont take antidepressants anymore ! Or anything for that matter (Well...I do take zolpidem for sleep )  I can't say that paxil ever did anything to "help" my so called depression. But it did alot of things to "impair" my brain function......to many to mention.......do a search on side effects of SSRI's.....it is devastating.........I would rather deal with depression than all the side effects.......in fact I dont even get that depressed anymore............actually the parox.  made depression worse....along with a host of other side effects !  If one is ever to get of those things.....it will take a long, long, time of tapering off.....especially if a person has been on a high as were mentions..... 60 mg/day ?  Thats unimaginable ! No wonder you are suffering so much.......anyhow, I can't advise you.....only share my expirencne with the drug..........good luck.

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying here. I sometimes wonder what I'll be like if I was to come off this drug, yes 60mg is a lot. I have been told that they help me, that sometimes a person lacks serotonning, that it is a chemical imbalance that causes my depression/anxiety. I have got to the stage now though where I feel.I would be worse without it. I usually lead a normal life go to work part time, do housework, look after my grand-children, deal with family problems and have been through a lot.

Regarding the side effects of this medication, some are horrendous for some people causing suicidal thoughts which is awful. I have usually got help, counselling and lucky to have good family support bit I know all drugs can have side effects. I know some do cause more anxiety.

• Posted

I have taken the morning off work. Feel like hell this morning. Am going to take my doggy for a walk and then have a bath. Trying to be good to myself when i feel like this is so important. The world can wait. I am more important. So are you.
  • Posted

Hi Carol , I know how you feel I have experienced the same symptoms. I know your post has been a month ago and I hope that things have gotten better for you and if so, please message me back and let me know what worked for you. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for asking. I have had a month off work, advice from my doctor.  I just slept, had support from family and feel better, but anxiety, silly worries still get me.  I think some of it is my age, but I seem to over worry, but am feeling better now. Back to work only 10 hours a week and also off on annual leave at the moment so  more time to sort myself out. 

Think I need to stop doing too many things at once, and just relax which is what I am doing.  I would love to come off my medication or at least reduce it, but my family worry I will just go downhill, that I need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.