Lower left rib pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

For the last 6 days I've had this pain just below my left ribs, it's a sharp pain that lasts for a second or 2 then goes away, it then comes back 20-30 minutes later, I can hear constant bubbling,  I've got killer heartburn & upper back pain. Does this sound like IBS? If so what can I do to stop it? I don't feel sick so I assume it's nothing life threatening but I'm an anxious person so it's all I've thought about since it started. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a bad case of trapped gas pushing on your stomach that in part is under your left rib cage.  Gas can also travel up your back (have had that and thot I was having a heart attack) and if you actually hear it bubbling, you could have a diverticuli pocket where the sigmoid colon makes a turn to travel thru your transverse colon -- across your middle.  Sometimes pushing on that pocket or laying flat on your stomach and rolling back and forth in bed helps to dislodge any gas.  You didn't mention any other symptoms with the exception of anxiety and that's extremely normal when you have something going goofy with your body and you don't know what it is

With IBS one usually gets gas, bloating and either diarherra or constipation along with stomach pain, nausea and bad cramping that doesn't go away. Doesn't sound like IBS but if you feel sick and have more symptoms, call your doc; especially is you develop a fever.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

This sounds like trapped gas

Or gut spasms. I have post infectious ibs and now my only real symptom is trapped gas. I can feel a lot of pressure in back and lower left. I can usually release it if I move around and press my gut in different places. When it was bad it felt like silent reflux as well with the gas pushing up contents in stomach. Also try fodmap diet if it's bad. 

• Posted

I could have wrote this myself my syptoms are exactly the same it's more or less constant the ache in my left rib (sometimes in right ) and upper back I wouldn't call in pain just an ache and I alternate between ibs c and ibs d I've had lots of tests done nothing comes back sometimes it's hard to believe it's ibs 

• Posted

I no I completely agree. Sometimes mine is that bad that I can't breathe and the pain is so intense. I have had alot of test done and they tell me it's IBS.. do any of you take or do anything that helps?

• Posted

I literally have the SAME exact thing. Except I also have chest pains, back pains, & left side rib pain that seems to come and go. and a pain in my throat sometimes when I take a deep breath. Sometimes the pains are worse than other times, but I'm seriously getting worried. I'm worried because my grandmother's brother died 30 years ago of stomach cancer, so its really stressing me out! I've had blood work, chest X-ray and an abdominal X-ray and ultrasound. Everything came back fine. My doctor put me on omeprazole but it's really not helping. I just want to break down & cry. I'm 21, just got accepted into nursing school and can't even get excited because I'm always thinking "what if something serious is wrong and you won't be able to attend"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.