Bulge in vagina post hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy almost 5 weeks ago.  I now think I can feel a bulge in my vagina.  I still have a light creamy beige coloured discharge and occasional low back ache

I also had an anterior vaginal repair last year for prolapsed bladder.  Am I being neurotic?  I just couldn't face any more surgical intervention.  I have my post-op appointment in 2 weeks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My discharge was pinkish and it went on for 8 weeks!  Combined with low backache it may be worth checking with your health carers in advance of your appointment. You may have picked up a little infection - in any case reassurance is good. The sensation you're experiencing may be due to swelling. I know that fear of renewed prolapse! It's early days and bladder etc have to find new places. I use a low dose vagifem pessary to pop in twice a week to reduce inflammation and likelihood of bladder infections. I've also invested Ina Kegel8 to strengthen the pelvic floor. If you google it you can see what it does, how it helps and the reviews. You wouldn't use this until at least 12 weeks after your op. It's expensive but so far so good. Deals with various forms of incontinence too. Don't forget to rest, gentle walks and NO lifting or pushing hoovers around. Let the dust lie!  I hope all goes well with you -  it does get better! 😄

• Posted

Hi Cela, thanks for your reply.  You may remember I wrote on the forum a couple of weeks or so ago as I was worried about pain and bleeding post hysterectomy. You kindly replied then too and reassured me, and recommended the Kegel8.  I will definitely invest in one once I am nearer the 12 week post op stage.  I have been trying to do the pelvic floor exercises with an app I have on my ipad, but I am really not very good at them at all.  I hadn't felt the sensation of a bulge (and  I am sure I can feel a bulge too) until the last few days.  I have been careful in what I do but did walk a fair distance a few dayd ago when I was must 4 weeks post op.  I feel quite low at the moment. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

• Posted

I have the  bulge as well - rectocele prolapse.  I got that and bladder complication after my hysterectomy.  I have to have surgery to fix the rectocele on 9/11.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you are needing further surgery Lisa.  That is my dread that I have a rectocele now! You have quite a long wait until your surgery.  I hope it all goes well for you.  It is such a worry all of this isn't it?  Take care. 

• Posted

As much as you're anxious about having surgery, when you have a prolapse the surgery can't come soon enough.  When did you have your hysterectomy?  

• Posted

Hysterectomy was 5/24. Due to my fear of Anesthesia I had old style cut from side to side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.