Daily headaches and neurological symptoms.. again

Posted , 4 users are following.

So just to give some background, I'm a 17 year old male. No health problems (that I know of) except for hypochondria.

Around late October of 2016, I started having slight neck pain. I looked it up and all these scary symptoms popped up so it scared me. I eventually developed right eye pain, daily localized headaches, sensitivity to light, floaters in vision, which are all brain tumor symptoms. So I though I had a brain tumor. Then a few weeks later, I developed these olfactory hallucinations to where I would smell smoke all the time. It was very odd. So I looked it up and sure enough, the smoke smell hallucination was a brain tumor symptom. Literally like it had to be a coincidence. So I got an MRI done. Practically had to beg the doctor. MRI came back normal and within an hour after hearing that, ALL of the symptoms that I had been dealing with for months went away.

I am a true believer that anxiety makes the brain create symptoms like these. This is actual proof.

Anyways, I just happened to stumble upon an article about brain anuerysms. I read it and discovered that like 10% of people have aneurysms and die instantly and all that scary stuff. So I kept pondering the thought of "What if I had one?" I would never know until it burst and killed me. So now I have a little fear and guess what.. those crazy symptoms are back. Almost a year later. So now I'm scared because I dont know if its anxiety or an aneurysm.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Zach, it's anxiety. It has to be, because you didn't have the symptoms until you read about aneurysms, which are very rare, anyway.

Tell me, were you surprised that the MRI was normal? And also, did your symptoms disappear right away?

• Posted

And I've just thought of another thing - there aren't any symptoms of an aneurysm.

• Posted

Hi, the MRI would have picked up the aneurysm if there was one, they are so indepth that they miss nothing. So worry not as it is anxiety that is causing your symptoms. Dr Google makes us all think we have every disease known to man. Relax and enjoy your youth, time enough to worry about illnesses when you are in your 60`s or 70`s. Neck pain is common but it is just tense muscles and it leads to other symptoms, don`t dwell on it and it will go away and it won`t kill you . Take care.
    • Posted

Well the MRI I got was just a regular one. I didn't get a contrast injection. So I'm sure they could see one if it burst, but could a regular MRI see an unruptured aneurysm?

• Posted

It makes no difference, Zach.

If you have one that is leaking and about to burst, you will have some symptoms. If you have no symptoms you have nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Yes Zack, a regular MRI picks up everything , I have had several of contrast ones and non contrast ones. They pick up the smallest details , I checked it out and found that MRI scans without contrast obtain images during these studies that will reliably detect aneurysms as small as 2 mm and can also obtain images of ruptured ones. Hope this helps Zack,  
    • Posted

Thank you for the peace mind, dee. I just have one more question. Is it possible that an aneurysm could've formed between the time I had my MRI and now? (So about 10 months)

• Posted

Sorry for the delay in replying Zach. You could not get one that quickly, aneurysms cause seizures and loss of consciousness . Also paralysis on one side of the face so basically if you had developed one you would not be capable of typing or of anything else either. Stop worrying and start living smileidea
  • Posted

I suffered from the fear of aneurysms for a big chunk of my life. And let me tell you there is no way you have one. The MRI being one reason but they are SUPER rare 4% of the population have them and most of them are found before they rupture because they have significant symptoms (also not everyone dies from a rupture. I know a man who lived through one) My doctor told me that unless someone in my family had had one there is . 0006% (not sure the exact amount of 0s, but you get the point.) of having one.

I can honestly say I'm 100% sure you don't have one. I'm also 100% sure I don't, but anxiety still tries to make me think I do from time to time. That's what sucks, anxiety is irrational!

Anyway... And MRI would have caught it and you haven't had enough time to form one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.