Intermittent Moon Face with Cushing's

Posted , 9 users are following.

If anyone will listen if greatly appreciate it. I've been having this issue for almost the year. My symptoms have been intermittent ( muscle wasting, moon face, brain fog, flushing sensation, bad anxiety). I went to the endo and tested but I think I should have waited for a day where my face was swollen. test showed normal cortisol but a raised creatinine ratio and raised dopamine. 

My main question is does moon face ever come and go or worsen in severity in response to stress?

After a stressful conversation or event my face gets red dots and VERY puffy on the outside. But on a rare good day or sometimes after a hard workout it will go down the same/next day. On top of that, I've noticed a lot of fat loss in my face, particularly around the eyes.

Is intermittent nature of the moon face something that occurs in Cushing's? 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Also, I have the buffalo hump. I've had it college, approximately 10 years. I have gone away a few times over the last year, which never before. 

• Posted

A high level of the neurotransmitter dopamine can cause problems with mood, memory, focus and more.

A moon face isnt something that is parts of your face, its the whole face and it does not swell up and down. Nor does exercise change the moon face, nor does stress change it. I think you have a hormone problem.

A high creatine says you have trouble with your kidneys. I do not think what you have is related to Cushings.

• Posted

I don't know about what's happening with you my symptoms are intermittent and my facial swelling and body swelling does fluctuate along with my labs sometimes my cortisol high and sometimes normal if you have big gaps between episodes you could be recovering in between high cortisol periods . I just don't know it sound like it in a way but fat loss under eyes and working  out wouldn't help your face swelling , but  symptoms can fluctuate with Cushings , trust your gut do your research me nor anyone on here are Drs they can just share there experiences which all vary . If there are months between episodes the Cushings look can disappear then return particularly in children do your research . I just wouldn't like to say on your behalf cause I could be wrong but my mind is open 

• Posted

I did not have a moon face when I was diagnosed and my hump never went away.  If Cyclic Cushings cannot relate to your symptoms then I agree it could be hormonal or Adrenal Cushings.  Keep on with your tests and let us know how you get on.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Sorry Vicky I notice u said u didn't have moon face  did you ever have the moon face ? I take it your Cushings wasn't cyclical then ? how long did you have it before diagnosis ? Just shows you cushies  are like snow flakes all different ! Lol

• Posted

Hi, No I never had a moon face although I had all the other weight problems!  Went from a 26" waist to a 45" waist, could only really wear maternity clothes.  It took about 2 1/2 years to get a final diagnosis but my GP was great and worked really hard to help.  In the end it was watching Doc Martin on TV that clinched it.  In relating all  my symptoms to my GP I left out two that I thought were just personal problems, excessive sweating and excessive facial hair!  We are all so different!

• Posted

Hi. I have constant moon face & swelling All round my neck, collar bone, face & hump back. I'm not sure if Cushing's swelling is intermittent but I'm sure some of the lovely ladies here will be able to help. Especially cycliccushings as shes very clued up on intermittent Cushing's so I'm sure she'll respond soon (if not already) Good luck & I hope they find a solution xxx

• Posted

Just realised they'd all replied already lol... should've read the replies before posting 🤣🤣

• Posted

Thyroid disorders insulin resistance and other stuff endocrine can give you the puffy face anxiety and things if you get any high or questionable cortisol results though I'd pursue it everyone's different trust your gut 

• Posted

Sorry ment to say diseased kidneys cause facial swelling but it would be in hands feet ankles legs too cause of fluid retention but you get all theses thing in Cushings to . If you had Cushings you would have a lot more symptoms but then again if it's only been a year you've experienced this who knows the human body is so weird ! Good luck in here if you want to talk 

• Posted

I am not diagnosed with cushings but currently seeing a endocrinologist. I have experienced the same as you though with the puffy face during times I stress I notice it is significantly worse. I have always questioned it but could never be sure of the cause?? 
    • Posted

hi Isabel I know it was 8 months ago when you typed this out but I have the same exact situation going on right now I have how but I have the same thing going on right now with my face moon face where the eyes look like they don't have any fat around it but they're all bulging out in my face is swollen on the bottom and my eyes had sagging and I just don't know what's going on and same thing during stress and gets real bloated more I don't know if I should do is an autoimmune or allergic reaction to stress I'm not sure

• Posted

Hi Salina,  I wondered what your GP had said about your problem?  We are all so different and what one person may find is not always felt by another.  Do talk to your GP or an Endocrinologist if you have been referred.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.