What does PHN pain feel like

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had shingles around the right side of my back and stomach over 2 years ago, since then I quite often get a dull ache around my thoracic spine area and into my rib cage beneath my breast, then other times my entire back aches. I also often get itchy in the area where the shingles rash was. I've had MRI and X ray which have been negative for any spine problems so my Doctor thinks it may be nerve pain. I'm not convinced as what people describe on here seems like excruciating pain rather than a dull ache. Does anyone else with PHN have similar symptoms? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

PHN is not always pain, apparently even itching is classed as phn, no idea why that is!  I get terrible itching in and around my eye  and the shingles was in March 2016! My forehead still has a couple of  small bumps where the rash was and it sometimes feels itchy, which is annoying when trying to sleep at night as it irritates to lie with my head  on the  right side where the rash was .

All I can do is continue with the eye drops etc and hope that one day the itching  and soreness stops!!

• Posted

My PHN pain finally went away, but the itching has continued. It doesn't itch every day, but at least 2-3 episodes a week. The itching is in my left shoulder blade, which is where the rash first appeared. I know it's the nerves, because scratching it doesn't satisfy it. It's more inside of me, where I can't get at it. The itching in my left armpit, where the rash was also bad, seems to have finally gone away. Or at least is very infrequent. Also, my left shoulder blade never feels normal when I touch it. It's kind of numb. 

Hope this helps in some way.

• Posted

Hi Hazel

As a PHN sufferer since early 2015 I can sympathasise with you and understand your problem.

I have found a topical cream that relieves the pain and itching, and prevents the recurrence of new shingles outbreaks.

I have posted this formula many times, but repeat it for the benefit of newcomers to this site. My formula is :

250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream (it does not form a skin with continued use).

Two 5 gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream (a Cold Sore cream that also treats the Shingles Virus).

65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel (26 percent Methyl Salicylate & 7percent Menthol).

Mix thoroughly and apply sparingly, as required for pain relief.

This mixture prevents any recurrence of shingles and makes daily life much more pleasent. As there is no cure for PHN it is important to minimise its affect.

Try this mixture and see if it is the answer to your problem.

Kind Regards, Ray.

• Posted

Hi Roberta

I presume you mean are these engredients available without prescriptoin.

Yes they are readily available in Australia, without prescription, from discount chemists. The cost is quite low, as this quantity should last 2 to 4 months, depending on frequency of application.

Regards, Ray.

• Posted

Yes, I had a very similar experience with my left side of scalp and left ear.

The shingles became PHN..I still get itchy and get nerve pain. Gabapentin helps a bit but mostly ice. I wish yo the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.