Catching a Cold

Posted , 9 users are following.

Like most people with BX when I catch a cold I get a lung infection and it lasts

for weeks.  When is the best time to start antibiotics?  At the start of a cold? 

After a few days, a week or longer?  Doctors seem to have different opinions.

This time i started on antibiotics after feeling unwell for 3 weeks.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm curious, too.  I spent the last year going by the gross rule of my sputum developing a flavor, tho when I could tell I was getting a quick sinus infection, we didn't wait even that long.

• Posted

I've been told that, as I know the  signs of an infection starting, to start taking the antibiotics straight away. My signs are a change in colour of the sputum and a cough, which usually occurs after a cold or even without having a cold.

• Posted

Hi dancing queen. I have seen your name some time ago. Perhaps you will know the answer to my question. I am having an extension done in my house.   I slept there for only two nights. I ended up getting a really awful chest infection. Could the dust in the house have caused this ?
    • Posted

Hi Marion

I would most certainly say yes. everyone is different but, personally, I would try to be very aware of any change in how I feel even up to a month after the work being completed. The dust would most definitely affect my chest.

• Posted

Hello Patricia. It is best to have a rescue pack with you at all times. Then you start the moment you feel bad.  I did not have one with me this time and as I  was staying up north I ended going to a all in centre who were extremely nice. If you take your antibiotics straight I think you'll find it clears up quicker. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Marion.  I did have a rescue pack but it was only for 5 days.  After the 5 days

I started to feel unwell again.  After seeing the doctor I am now on a 10 day course.

I will make sure that the next rescue pack is for 10 days or longer.

• Posted

I have a feeling that they only give 5 days just to see if it works first if not you do end up going to dr. Or maybe it is a money saving exercise. Hope  the 10 day course works well for you. I did read somewhere that it is nessary to have a 14 day course. Telling our doctors that is another problem   Good luck
  • Posted

Hello.

I have learnt and am learning from experience to take the AB's as soon as you 'feel' an infection coming on. The symptoms are quite individual I think. If I don't 'catch' the infection it can lead to months of being unwell.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Patricia 72498.

Hi am currently suffering from a bad chest, but I am notoriously bad for taking antibiotics. As long as I can keep functioning on a basic level walking slowly taking breathing as instructed, I get along. I am worried though that I will not recognise the symptoms until, I have a real bad infection it will too late, and as I am a carer for my wife as well I tread a fine line. I must add 2 winters ago although being told all of my previous 58 years I was asthmatic I had a really bad Autumn and winter with regular antibiotics Chest xrays about 5 then a CT scan confirmed the Bronchiectasis symptons and now under the hospital respitory and local  teams the following year I was perhaps fortunate to have a bad attack early on more antibiotics and then when better still had some left, which are my supply if things go wrong, but mostly I have found is breathing exercises and that leading to removal of sputum from my lungs helps me enormously. So fingers crossed and feeling a little breathless I soldier on.

• Posted

Hello Terry

I understand from my consultant that the more chest infections you get, the more you damage your lungs so it is important you take antibiotics as soon as you can   I agree though it is so good to clear the gunk  which helps with breathing   Stay well and best wishes

• Posted

Hi Patricia,If I feel like i am getting worse, I  try to take extra on my preventer ( Fostair) and use my blue puffer  and acapello device to try NOT to have to take antibiotics and two weeks of seroids, the setroids as they make me feel so ill and are thinning my hair. I have very bad reactions to dust air con units gardening and of cause the dreaded colds.

Hugs Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.