Food that causes BP to spike?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anybody read about or experienced any food item that causes BP to spike higher within 24 hours?

?I ask because I seem to have one myself, and it's - cheese!  Now, I know cheese generally has a lot of fat and a lot of salt so I'd expect it might have some long-term effects if you eat it frequently, but I'm talking about a cheese sandwich today, and my BP twenty points higher tomorrow.  It seems to be just a short-term effect, but I've seen it a number of times now.

?Now, it is also possible that a milk-based product somehow neutralizes one of the BP meds, so it doesn't cause BP as such, but it blocks the med.  This is certainly known to happen with some other drugs and nutrients.  But as far as I've noticed, either fresh milk or ice cream, does not seem to have the same effect.

?Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

What Meds are you taking?

Cheese contains tyramine which can cause a hypertensive crisis in people taking MAOIs (google the cheese effect).

• Posted

Ben, THANK YOU for posting this!  Ten years going to doctors for BP, and none ever mentioned this.  I take some turmeric/curcumin, which among its other properties is a mild MAOI.  So it's not my imagination.  I mention the turmeric/curcumin to doctors, but of course they just give me the fish eye and shrug.

• Posted

I have just googled it and I know they say don't, it came back with some interesting and scary information, my MIL is on citalopram and often complains of increased HR now I know why, so I will be passing this info on to her and I suggest you drop the cheese, well done Ben for highlighting this interaction

• Posted

Citalopram is an SSRI, not a MAOI.

The only MAOIs still used are Moclobemide (occasionally for depression) and Selegiline and Rasagiline (both antiparkinsonian drugs).

• Posted

But it still says there can be interaction with certain foods so always best to be cautious
    • Posted

Actually she is 89 and never had the slightest problem with BP in fact in the last year its tended to be on the low side, not extremely but 90/70 no matter what she eats her cholesterol has also stayed excellent, funny cause my partner is the same with cholesterol but has treatment for BP.

• Posted

Hi

I know milk as in full l fat is very good for DEIDRATION  specially in the summer months.

Concerning food cause BP SPIKING i will get back to u later, I’m on Ward 2day so I’ll speak to couple of consultants and doctors , hopefully I’ll have a overall view 

Cheers 

David 

• Posted

That would be good, you could ask there opinion on statins too LOL I'm fed up with the controversy regarding them

• Posted

Thanks David.  We'll see what they say, but at least in the US any diet or nutritional approaches tend to be outside of what doctors know much about, beyond very basic diet information it falls under "alternative", which is maybe one step above witchcraft.  I'm more interested in individual experience first, and only then in any science behind why it might work.

• Posted

Hi again

Spoke to 2 doctors who agree salt intake can cause this plus sugar 

SALT Is the main one, so reduce salt and same for sugar 

Cheers 

Dai 

• Posted

Hi

I’m on STATINS and help me, there b so much bad press about these but I’ve been advised to carry on with them , u got to remember that most of nearly all MEDS have got types of side effects 

If u still have problems with u BP spiking what I would do is do u BP 6x a day as in 3 morning then devide the 3 to get u best  average and then the same in the evening and do the same, do this for a couple of days then show to u doc the results 

If u haven’t got a BP machine u can buy one  say amazon 

Hope the above helps cheers 

• Posted

I can eat a bag of potato chips and it doesn't spike the BP, in fact the chips with sea salt seem to lower my BP short term!  All that potassium, I guess.

• Posted

Yes, I have a BP meter, and generally do use it at least twice a day, sometimes more often, that's exactly how I know what the effects of this or that food or drug really are.

• Posted

Hi

Do u suffer from SLEEP ANAPIA or do u snore a lot , this can cause SPIKE  in your BP

cheers 

• Posted

Hi David, no, maybe some other sleep problems but not those.  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.