Withdraw from opiates and how I stopped

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my story of tapering off 780mg of morphine after years of being administered. I hope that this story will help everyone who desires to stop. The reason I stopped was to be have my freedoms and abilities of daily life returned. When I started this pain medication was for severe pain. The time on this medication 8 years. There is a difference from dependency and addiction. At the beginning I felt the same pain and withdraw cravings that everyone feels. It is most important to differentiate between dependency and addiction and to understand it. Well it what helped me. At high and low doses my body develops a dependency for the drug. It was not educating myself about this medicine that led me down this dark road. I also able to tapper off in 30 days under a wonderful doctor's care. Everyone of us will go through a different journey. It's most important to follow your doctor's instruction. It was hard and easy for me to quit. I say this because I felt mild physical withdrawal but great mental anguish. At the beginning my body craved and screamed for the drug. I had my medication stolen twice. For me within 12 hours I knew I was in trouble. To run out after using for a long time was a nightmare for me. I ended up at the hospital both times. This itself was another issue and feelings for me. I had to convince my self this was absolutely needed for me to live a longer life. I was taken down in dosage and given the smallest amount possible to deal with my pain. Eventually they had other medications that relieved my pain and I am know free of the drug and living a normal life. I am so paranoid that this could happen to me in the future with any medical know. When starting a medication research it and be 100% honest to your doctor. Your doctor can't help you if he does not know the truth. Do you not feel ashamed to talk with him about this. Stay strong and focus on your journey and I pray that all of you can find a better day. If you have any questions that I can help you with I know there's many many things that that are involved in this process that I have not addressed so please feel free to contact me with your questions. Good luck and God bless

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What a truely inspirational story.

May your future path always be filled with happiness.

Abby

• Posted

Hello Johnny

I have been taking Tramadol, various dose levels for over ten years now. In the early days I was under the Pain Clinic and was shown how to vary the medication, dose. So if I was bad I increase then when in a remission type period etc I would lower the dose. Eventually I have managed to control my own condition and I never get any adverse side effects

Well done on withdrawal, I hope you will manage your pain as required

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.