sever the nerve

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Can anybody give any information on the effects of severing the nerve to treat trigeminal  neuralgia. My daughter has suffered from this condition for several years and has had three or four surgical procedures which if anything has made the condition worse. It has now been suggested that the nerve should be severed but of course it cannot be reversed once done. According to the surgeon the numbness will be only a small problem but we are worried that it may make things worse or not help at all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter

Some points of clarification please? 

Has your daughter had MVD? You said she had received several procedures.  Nerve cutting (and partial rhizotomies) are irreversible as you said.  Apart from numbness, which could be very local or even disseminated there could be collateral problems; such as biting the inside of cheek on a regular basis , biting tongue, not being able to drink very easily from wine glasses, jaw weakness on the cut side etc. There may be muscle weakness in the face so the patient may have dropped lip, cheek etc on one side. Of course these are trivial compared with the fantastic relief from devastating pain of TN.  

Let us know how things are going 

Good luck

Big D 

• Posted

Hi peter,

My mother she did redo mVD and her nerve svered she has problem now in walking talking and her right side eye are closed kindly suggest ur exp,,

Thanks

• Posted

Please get a second surgical opinion.  People here would not have enough specifics about the proceedure to comment in a statistically relevant way.  For example the Trigeminal nerve has three branches, are all three going to be severed?  One in particular?  This does make a difference.  What concerns me the most is that when my daughter went for an MVD the surgeon discaussed ALL potential side effects including death, which is exceedingly rare and in fact a complication of all surgeries.  He put the potential side effects in perspective in terms of common and rare so that we had a full understanding.  When she had the other proceedures what was she told?  Did it match to what happened to her?  Was it the same surgeon?  
  • Posted

Peter,

I had partial Rhizotomy along with MVD a year and a half ago.  For me they said they just damaged the nerve enough to where i wouldn't feel any pain signals incase the MVD didn't work. Since they were going in for MVD, they told me prior to the operation that they would do this if after opening me up they find that MVD alone may not work 100%.  While you are asking about a severed nerve which is different from what i had, i can only tell you some of the side effects im still having.  Full numbness on the TN side of the face ( No sensation recovery so far 1.5 years), Still feels like a constant pull on that side of the face, pressure on the eye, redness and over sensitivity of the eye to sunlight and watering of the eye from time to time, vision is weaker as well, food / water occasionally slipping through left lip since i can't feel food on that side or feel it open/ close, and the occasional biting of my tongue on the left side as i can't feel it.  Trade of being, no more TN pain so far,  Im just listing my side effects and in no way am suggesting that these are typical for everyone, however, i would have asked my surgeon about them had i known what to possibly expect, but i didn't know and they didn't tell me. Their objective was TN pain gone, and the rest , no matter how uncomfortable is still better than the TN shocks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.