Unconfirmed diagnosis after 3 flexible sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there can anyone shed any light on my Doctors reason to not give me a diagnosis. Over past 3 years I have intermittently  may be twice a year suffered from bleeding after going the the loo. There would be a significent amout in the toilet basin and then bleeding for 4 to 5 days like a light period.Then every time I open my bowels fresh blood in basin. I also suffer from constipation then diarrhea like a cycle about 8 times a year. I have external and internal piles and thought this was the problem. When having my FS I was told they could not treat my internal piles due to inflammation. They took biopsies and a blood test no inflammation was found in these tests. The Doctor said I have inflammation at the bottom of my rectum only about 5.  cms. He said I can take suppositories if I want to trial but can not confirm a diagnosis as blood and biopsies came back negative. I have been left confused as my internel pilies can not be treated due to inflammation so the bleeding continues and the Doctors says don't worry about it its ok to bleed. What I would say it that it does not feel ok when blood is emptying from your bottom and dripping down your leg. And cycle of constipation and diarrhea.  Why cant they help or tell me if blood is from piles or inflammation. Dr says that it could be the enema that causes the inflammation so nothing to worry about, but how do I know if it is or isn't. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Poppy, I don't know where you are in the UK, but I would really encourage you to get a referral to John Radcliffe Hosp Oxford or St Marks London as they are the experts in this field. Your GP can refer you.

My son was not able to be properly diagnosed as Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis at his local hosp and they said he could not be identified elsewhere but JR diagnosed from a few tests. He had a few small episodes of bleeding over the years which went away on there own but he did have UC which became severe finally. 

I wish you well. Sheila.

• Posted

Hi Sheila thank you so much for your reply. I am in Leeds so not able to get revered there. I really don't know what to do cos I have been given no answers only that he doesn't know. Surley if the enema is causing inflammation after 3 FS why do they use enemas. The doctor doing the SF said on contact I bleed and he had to put a clip in. Thanks

• Posted

Hi poppy

Sorry I don't live in your area so can't advise of any where to go. Have you tried just asking for a second opinion. ? What treatment has been advised ? Are you anaemic ?

I wish you all the best and hope you get sorted soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.