Uterine Stripe

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just recently had a transvaginal U/S and my Dr wants me to have a biopsy because my uterine stripe measured 4.1mm.  My FSH level came back as post menopause and I had spotting a month ago.  Although, my last period was in July 2017. Just curious if this is considered an abnormal thickness. I thought the threshold was around 5mm for post menopause. My Dr is very thorough and I wouldn’t want it any other way but it does cause me some anxiety 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dawn,  you are correct that a post menopausal lining is 3-5 mm.  Since your last period was in July, you have yet to reach that 1 year mark without a period.  You can, and probably are, still producing some estrogen, just not enough to create a monthly cycle.  Hence the spotting.  Many women will have a random period in this phase.  In my final year, I tapered to a period every six months before things stopped entirely.  Just keep in mind that each women will still produce estrogen, and if tested, some women who are no longer having periods can still have estradiol levels of nearly 50 pg/ml.  Enough so they still feel right, sleep well, and they aren't have hot flashes and night sweats, just not enough to create normal cycles.    

I know you said your doctor is thorough, so you might feel better if you had the biopsy.  However, I don't think you would be out of line to ask to wait for awhile and see if there is any more random spotting.  Either way, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.  This is all very normal for this menopause transition.   

• Posted

Thank you ladies for your response, I greatly appreciate getting feedback on this new transition in my life.  I live in the US and it appears we have the same guidelines as you do in the U.K.  The nurse explained to me that the threshold for uterine lining was 5mm but because I had some slight discharge (2 times only, one month ago)  it was suggested I have the biopsy.  Yes, all these different hormones and their fluctuations are so confusing, thank you for shedding some light on them for me. And from what I’ve read a FSH test is unreliable for detecting menopause because it seems women can still have a period when those levels are elevated into PM range. Many thanks to you both 😊

• Posted

Hi

I agree with GailAnnie, you’ve not had a clear year of not having a period so you can’t be considered as being post menopause. Also your hormones will still vary during this time. I also read in a scientific gynaecology paper that states the endometrial lining should not exceed 11mm post menopause so you are well within range. This is a UK guideline, not sure which country you are in. Have the biopsy as it will put your mind at rest. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you ladies for your response, I greatly appreciate getting feedback on this new transition in my life.  I live in the US and it appears we have the same guidelines as you do in the U.K.  The nurse explained to me that the threshold for uterine lining was 5mm but because I had some slight discharge (2 times only, one month ago)  it was suggested I have the biopsy.  Yes, all these different hormones and their fluctuations are so confusing, thank you for shedding some light on them for me. And from what I’ve read a FSH test is unreliable for detecting menopause because it seems women can still have a period when those levels are elevated into PM range. Many thanks to you both 😊

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.