Urolift scheduled, local or general anaesthetic

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, I finally decided to have a Urolift procedure done, praying it works. It is scheduled for next month. The doctor recommends general anesthesia but I am aware local anaesthetic is an option. A bit afraid of being put under. Hopefully, I can get some opinions from both perspectives. Has anyone had it done with the local anaesthetic and if so is it painful?

Thank you!

Riggs

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Our stories vary, one from the other.  My Urolift was IMMEDIATELY successful:  I hopped off the table and called for a bowl, and peed like the proverbial race horse, right in front of the startled nurse.  No cathing or catheters needed.  That said, 3 or 4 months later I was down to a trickle, and then back to CIC, where I still am today, awaiting results of the iTind trials...
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies thus far. The doctor also said he would put an I dwelling catheter in for 7 days. I assume that is to avoid have to insert if I can't pee right after the procedure. What is everyone's opinion on the catheter?

Thanks

Riggs

• Posted

I think that is best.  Not all men can pee after a procedure.  But why is he leaving it in for a week.  I had my in for 3 days.  When they put in the 250 cc of fluid I could not want for the nurse to pull the catheter out.  I shot it out and I pee all over everything. It pays to be ready for anything.  The day they took the catheter out.  I was not going home.  It was 8:30 am and I was going out.  I got some male pads and I put one on when I left the doctors office.  I was happy I did.  It only took me 15 minutes to get where I was going.  I felt I had to pee and Just when I put my one leg out og the car I started to pee.  I thought I was not going to stop and the pad held it all.  I went inside and change the pad and I was good to go.  You will be fine but ask the doctor why 7 days.  Good luck  Ken    
  • Posted

Hello Riggs, I had my done under general, it was fine except I felt so much pain under there, make sure your doctor order some pain killer along with anesthesia. Good luck!
  • Posted

I really HATED being tethered to a bag, for one week, when my BPH was i.d.'ed (after they drained 2 1/2 LITERS of pee!).  I got to CIC as soon as I could, and wouldn't do it any other way.

As for PAIN:  yes, be CERTAIN he gives you a script for heavy-duty pain killers (No, ibuprofen ain't gonna do it!).  I was in pain as soon as the stuff they gave me for the procedure began wearing off.  I was on pain meds for 2 or 3 days, then went out to my wood shed and stacked a half-cord of firewood!  :-)

• Posted

Riggs, it will be two years for me in February, 2018. I had local, I was 58, and received five fasteners. I was done in about 20 minutes, was able to pee immediately, no catheter, and drove home. I could hear and feel each fasteners as they used the "gun". It was not unbearable but it was uncomfortable and I was glad when it as over. My insurance was not covering it and the cost would have been higher with general. My urologist gave me a choice and I went with local. I've had no problems since and the results, for me, were very, very good and still are very good. I am glad I had it done. I had my yearly check this week and the exam showed the prostate as flat. It's clear from the forum that every man varies and results also. Good luck with the proceedure. Bob

• Posted

Had my Urolift over two years ago.  Did general and glad I did...I got six thingie doos put in - don't think I'd have liked watching that.  They have to go in, shoot, come out, reload, go in and shoot again.  NO problems with the general  I was one of those who peed a LOT after....constantly.  Was driven home with a blanket over me and my penis in a pee cup. Spent a lot of time in the hospital restroom after I came around.   I'm an olde Marine and blood donor.  I don't mind blood.  I passed a lot of blood for a couple days - but it was worth it.   Never had to take the pain meds.   More than worth it.    73 years old and pee and ejaculate like a teenager.

• Posted

Hi River kilt, by General anesthesia, was it Twighlight? Thanks Riggs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.