Second AVNRT Ablation. Please help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone. I have been a long time lurker for awhile, however I have hit a wall and desperately need the advice of those who have been through this.

I am a 32 year old female. No heart disease. Perfectly healthy. A little background--My SVT started in my adolescence with episodes of racing heart that no one could explain. In fact, for a long time, I was told I had anxiety. These episodes faded during my high school and college years and returned with a vengeance nearing my mid-twenties. One morning I simply rolled out of bed and that typical ka-thump, THUMP triggered and my heart took off at 245 bpm. I was rushed to the ER and finally, after 25 years, was able to catch this phenomenon on an ECG. SVT. I was given a shot of aeodesine which broke the arrhythmia. I was put on 25 mg metroprolol succ er, which seemed to control the episodes for almost three years.

Fast forward to this past year. I had my first ablation in May (typical adult AVNRT), and sadly I had another episode a week after and then six weeks after. Both were converted easily and felt much slower. Clearly a pathway was missed and I ended up back for a second ablation in November. The EP had to get close to the AV node to make the burn, but said he was unable to induce the arrhythmia after. Both times he could easily trigger them. Like clockwork, a week later I was in sustained SVT for 30 seconds or less using the valsalva maneuver to correct. Two weeks after that (three weeks post ablation, last night) I was sitting in the car on the way to a holiday party and here we go, 200 bpm and none of my usual tricks worked. I ended up in the ER, thankfully captured on the ECG for my EP, and was corrected using Cardizem (so much easier than aeodesine).

When I called my EP after the second ablation, first incident, I was told this is common after the procedure for 3-4 weeks. I just have this nagging feeling something is wrong. I cannot tolerate another failure. I have been suffering from anxiety since this on-set as a child, and the thought of a 100% fix was too tempting. I fear that I will have to live with this for the rest of my life or that I have now made this worse by trying the ablations. Before them I was having episodes every year or three. After the first ablation I was experiencing them within months of each other. After the second I am experiencing them every few weeks. I am devastated. The whole point of coming off the beta blocker was to have a child medicine-free and to ease my worries when traveling/away from an ER.

Living with this condition is horrible. I am constantly worried if I am not near a hospital or in a public space that if it occurs I will need to immediately leave. It is an awful way to live your life.

I hope someone out there can relate. I really need to hear I am not alone.Is this normal after an ablation?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you have had to go through this - SVT is not fun at all, I know what it's like. Curious question - did you have general anesthesia during one or both ablations?

• Posted

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say then. I suspect that ablations may be less accurate if done with the patient awake since they might move a tiny bit, but you had general. I would maybe try another doctor? Also, I think diet can greatly effect the frequency of SVT. More pre-mature beats means more episodes, and pre-mature beats can tend to happen more often with a poor diet. Sorry you are going through this, I hope it is solved soon.

• Posted

Thank you. In my case, it is no my diet. I'll provide an update below for everyone as I saw my EP today.

• Posted

Many SVT patients can deeply relate to you, Vunel, and I'm among them.  The constant worries, including where the nearest hospital might be, fear of being confined, and much, much more.  I'm nearing 5 months after my 2nd ablation, still SVT-free, and thinking I may have been cured.  My first ablation led to more frequent SVT, so my current situation is especially appreciated.

Give yourself a bit more time to see what happens.  I hope you continue to receive good health care.  There may well be an SVT-free future for you.  I wish the best for you.

• Posted

It is difficult to not feel alone sometimes. I surf these boards for shreds of information and others who have been through the same situations I have. I am always surprised at how many others suffer too.

I am sorry you had to go through that worry and procedure.I did not mind the ablation itself too much, but the recovery this time has been rather awful.

Time is what my heart needs right now. I updated below from my meeting with my EP today. I wish an SVT-free future for you as well. Did you have AVNRT or another form of SVT?

• Posted

Our similarities continue, Vunel.  AVNRT for me, with multiple problematic pathways and proximity to natural pacemaker and phrenic nerve as additional challenges.  I gave lots of thought to the artificial pacemaker option, but hope I don't have to further pursue that.

At some level, I know you know that you are not alone.  Your posts have me thinking that you're going to work through all this and do quite well.  Again, take the best of care of yourself. 

• Posted

As an update. My version of AVNRT is complex and required a lot of burns to cover. It is going to be a rather rough recovery. Now that my heart is starting to deswell the connections can be made until the scar tissue forms.

My EP prescribed Flecainide Acetate 50 MG twice a day to help stop the episodes until they have a chance to fully heal.

Ideal outcome is the scar tissue heals and stops the connection. No more meds, surgeries, or random ER trips. Other options may include a third ablation and possible pacemaker. Won't know if those are to come to fruition for another 3-6 months, but if the medication does not work and episodes continue those options will be expedited.

• Posted

I would suggest you start breathing yoga. This will help in svt and also cure anxiety

You will start seeing results in a week, you feel light headed and strong from inside.  Try kapaalbhati , vayu mudra, anlom vilom , bhastrika nd bhramri. You will find all these on you tube. Try it out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.