Fractured wrist - wk 11 - recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Well 11wks since surgery,have plate/pins in left wrist after distal radius fracture after a bad talk at local supermarket car park. Physio once a week, slowly improving,though can still only turn palm up 3/4, palm down even less,shoulder is aching all the time can lift arm up but difficult to the side,still can't make a full fist without forcing with good hand. Within the last week using hand a little more but can't weight bear at all! I'm rather anxious and seeking some advice as to time limit etc as thus accident/injury as taken me so off guard and I'm getting frustrated as to how slow the process is and never realised how much you use your wrist. Thank you for reading and advice offered x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Monica! I wish I had better news for you, but the healing process is a long one with the this type of injury. I have injured my wrist 8 months ago and while I can now make a fairly good fist, I still have not acquired my previous strength. Supination and pronation are great now but physio had their doubts. It was like we all thought I had peaked but then I turned a corner. It is, indeed frustrating. Just stay the course and exercise your hand and wrist as much as you can tolerate. My greater concern is for your shoulder. Stay on top of the pain. I ended up with frozen shoulder and a torn rotater cuff. Not certain what came first. Much luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi monica54,

Happy New Year! I’m in a similar situation to you. I'm 52, and 14 weeks ago, I had a high energy fall resulting in a left distal radius fracture. On 2nd Oct I had MUA plus 4 K-wires, and was in a plaster for a very long 8 weeks. The plaster and wires were removed on 28th Nov. The wrist was quite bent, stiff and swollen esp the fingers. Physio has been hard but I’ve made slow progress in the four weeks since in flexion/extension but can’t rotate my wrist upwards (supination). The swelling has gone down but my fingers and esp thumb are still quite stiff esp in the morning. I’m doing contrast bathing to ‘thaw’ them out. In addition I’ve got frozen shoulder and am seeing a shoulder physio to help me with that. The doctor said it had been a bad break and my wrist would not regain previous flexibility which freaked me out. This forum has been so very helpful in realising that I’m not alone on this journey and I’ve followed many of the tips posted on here. I found the whole experience not only physically but mentally challenging. I never had a major fracture nor surgery before and lived in blissful ignorance! 

While I'm happy with the NHS physio I wonder if I should see a private hand therapist to get a different opinion and some extra tips. How are you getting on? x

• Posted

Hi

Yep happy 2018, I'm 54 and had accident end September and op 1/10, slowly improving can turn palm down fully bow,though palm up difficult,shoulder still very sore and wrist aches and both wrist and forearm ache,use hot water bottle to ease it. Physio once a week and they have said improving. I have very little strength in my hand and still can't make a full fist. It us a very anxious /stressful time and don't think my other half realise how much. I've been off work sick since oo and awaiting occupational therapy assessment to see when I can return to work. Feel so fed up some days. X

• Posted

Hi Monica,

I know how you feel. It's such a roller coaster. who would have thought a wrist fracture could have such longterm consequences? I saw the physio today and am making progress too but can't turn my hand/wrist upwards beyond neutral yet.  It's hard work but we've got to do it. I'm seeing a separate shoulder physical therapist for the stiff shoulder which helps.  I have been working from home reduced hours for the last two months which really helped as it took my mind off my recovery.  And I find typing on my laptop has helped get my stiff fingers moving. Good luck with the OT assessment.  Ruth x

• Posted

Hi Rest52

Good you're making progress! and working from home,that wasn't an option for me. I've been practising using keyboard in a fashion though painful as fingers are still stiff,slowly getting there. Have found a small gel you I'm using to help with exercise for fist and also trying out a 1kg hand weight to attempt to gain some strength back as have zero at moment. At Drs Thursday for review and physio. Take care and keep posted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.