TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, 42 years old, I’m looking for some advice following my TKR 3 weeks 2 days ago (not that I’m counting 😊wink

Prior to having my TKR surgery I had 4 operations to try to preserve my knee including leg realignment, horse cartilage implant two sets of micro fracture, bone graft as there was a 5 cm hole in my knee and the list goes on, the long and short is nothing worked and after 3 years on and off crutches I now have a shiny new knee!! 

I am more than aware that the pain is going to be off the scale at times and movement  will will be restricted particularly due to the additional scar tissue from previous surgeries.  But I would like to say I’m actually doing quite well 85 degree bend walking ok and fairly in control until today......

My knee has gone really shiny hard and hotter than before, movement appears to be restricted and gosh the scar is stinging like mad.... any ideas or just part of the healing? 

Spent 4 days on iv antibiotics straight after surgery due to suspicions of an underlying infection from previous surgeries ........ a little worried 😧 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

After the scar heals, use some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...great topical anti-inflammatory.  Just check side effects and med interactions.  Those are rare but check anyway.  Excellent at bedtime and throughout the day.  If the incision site bother you by rubbing against sheets and clothing, wrap it loosely in an ACE elastic bandage or get a knee sleeve one size larger than normal to avoid the compression effect.  That will isolate the incision against any sensitive rubbing.
    • Posted

Hi Marx, that’s a point I haven’t used the gel today perhaps that may help! Thank you for your advice I will be applying it straight away. 
    • Posted

Glad to hear having very sensitive skin areas around the incision is normal- I have fibromyalgia and it is rather painful at times...
  • Posted

Hi Tina

Pain and sensations are normal ,as well as the shinny knee, I said many times I found a really hot bath gave me some pain relief and was always icing via the Aircast knee wrap / ice bucket.

Also crying and the family having no idea what you are going through is normal!

Good healing

• Posted

Thank you Clive this is exactly what I have done tonight , hot bath, Cryo cuff and believe me tonight the tears are flowing.....  thank you for getting back to me it helps to think I’m not going crazy! 

Tina 

• Posted

I am a Registered nurse and I have a concern about soaking in a bathtub this early post-op. Until your incision is totally healed for a week or two— you are at risk for infection. I think only showers should be taken unless your Dr says baths are ok— call the office and the nurse could give you the information.
    • Posted

So glad you mentioned the crying as being not uncommon— I have been a “hot mess” since my surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago— I think this time of the year didn’t help— Christmas was so different because I was not able to do everything I wanted to do— when you have your care person doing so much for you just to keep you comfortable— getting ice; bringing you things you forgot right after you just got comfortable in a chair or bed etc- getting groceries etc etc etc.. you don’t want to ask them for some silly thing that maybe is important to you during Christmas... but the good thing was our 2 girls( adults and their husbands) took over for our meal - bought groceries, set table ,cooked dinner served it and did all clean up— YAYsmile
    • Posted

Agreed.  My doc said no immersion for six weeks.  The incision has to be fully healed.
    • Posted

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your reply. 

My consultant told me at two weeks to go swimming, I didn’t have stitches or staples my scar is completely closed and I must say really tidy given that he uses an old incision that ran to the side of my knee rather than creating a train line effect. I wasn’t too convinced about going in a swimming pool myself and the PT suggested holding off a little. I do think I was possibly having a bad night/day as I had to write yesterday off and start again today. I started back on the amitriptyline to help me through the night and today I feel like a new person.  

Tina x

• Posted

Crying really helped me, it  really is an emotionally challenging process to go through. I’m on my own with my two girls 11 and 19 so things have been a little hard over the Christmas period. I guess it’s been about focusing on where I want to be in the future that keeps me going. 

• Posted

If worried contact the hospital you hadvthe surgery at...they should have a discharge advice line , well, mine did....best to check!

Sounds like you are doing well!

• Posted

Hi Jenny, thank you for your advice. I will see how the night goes fingers crossed things will settle. If not I will contact the hospital and see what they think! I’m stunned at how many people have had knee replacements, hope your fully recovered. 
  • Posted

Hi  

Following my previous my post,  the top of my has developed an odd purple spot that. If I put pressure on it white stuff comes out of it. Is it time to get this looked at? My movement is becoming more restricted and my knee is solid despite icing it every few hours and rubbing fenbid gel on it.

Any advice? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.