Endoscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment with the gastro doctor in a couple days because i have chronic nausea. I’m scared that i’m getting an endoscopy (which i probably am) can anyone please give me a heads up of what to expect. I’m scared i’m going to throw up while it happens. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you are getting an endoscopy, you will be informed beforehand.

I have had a number  over the years, the last one just on Saturday.

You will usually have the choice of sedation (when you'll need someone else with you for 24 hours afterwards, or just the throat spray. I just have the throat spray. It's not a pleasant experience but it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes - though it seems longer.

If you find the BarrettsWessex org uk website, you'll find, linked from the home page, Patients' Experiences which include 7 reports of endoscopy procedures.

• Posted

Ialso had one on Saturday and opted for throat spray not the general anaesthetic.

if you just relax your body, think of something else, meditate and it’s over in no time, honestly it doesn’t hurt unless you fight it so please look on line for relaxation teqniques and you will be fine.

good luck and you will be great x

• Posted

I've had two endoscopies, both without sedation. I was extremely nervous the first time but I think that the waiting for the appointment is much worse than when you have it done.  I had tried practising by poking my finger down my throat to get used to the gagging feeling but it's nothing like that as the spray numbs your throat.  They get you to lie on your side and you have a mouth guard in your mouth which you can GENTLY close your teeth on.  It's more to stop you biting their endoscope but also protects your teeth I suppose.  I was determined to stay calm, although I was a bit like a duck, calm on the outside and paddling like mad on the inside!   I was told when the endoscope was going to be put in, a nurse was right behind me, talking and telling me to swallow which I made sure I did and the endoscope went down without any problem.  I could feel it moving about inside me but it wasn't painful. I was told what they could see and within five minutes or so they slowly removed the scope and i didn't gag that time either.  You get a printed report of what they have found which is reassuring  rather than having to wait weeks for the results and the consultant was so impressed with how calm I was he said that he wished he had done a video to show all his nervous patients (if only he knew!).  The second endoscopy was rather different in that it was done by a student doctor, under supervision but still took a lot longer than the previous one.  The supervising doctor saw that I was getting uncomfortable after about 30 minutes so called a halt shortly after that.  Both times I had a wait of about 15 minutes while I was given a drink then I could go home.   The thought of the endoscopy is far worse than the actual procedure and I expect you will come out after you've had it done, if you have it done, and wonder why you worried so much about it.  My advice is to swallow when they ask you to as it makes it much easier for them and for you.

• Posted

my doctor just told me i’ll be fully asleep. is that normal? i’m getting an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy
    • Posted

Yes, this is normal. I’m having one tomorrow and I will be given IV sedation which knocks you out but you can still respond to pain and sometimes requests, but you won’t know it.  The sedation is quick acting but lasts a very short time. I understand your nervousness as I do have high anxiety. This will be my third endo in 7 years but still anxious!
  • Posted

You will be fine but normally you get an option as to whether you have a spray or a general anaesthetic, maybe your doctor felt you were very nervous and would be better asleep.

dont worry too much, the end result is the same and at least you will be one step nearer to resolving it.

you won’t throw up, just relax it won’t take long. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I have an endoscopy scheduled for next week. I have had chronic nausea for quite some time now but recently it seems to have gotten better. I'm wondering if I should cancel. Thoughts anyone?

• Posted

i don’t think you should. the same thing happened with me. I have had chronic nausea since July. Last month I had a really great 2 weeks feeling so awesome and i cancelled my appointment because i thought i was better. But I am not.  I would still go through witb the appointment just in case. 
  • Posted

hey everyone,

just got home from the procedure. went really well. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done under anesthesia. very tired and sore throat but it was no problem. 

• Posted

So pleased and hope all is well, well done and now you know you can do anything 😘

• Posted

hey everyone,

it’s the day after the scope and colonoscopy and i have a lot of pressure in my chest. it hurts to swallow but not in my throat more in my high chest area. is this normal??

• Posted

Hi Jade 

I'm glad to hear it went alright smile Thinking about it is way worse than the actual procedure. Were they able to solve the mystery of your nausea?

• Posted

no not yet ): everyone (not doctors) says it’s stress but i’m not stressed about anything. 
  • Posted

I read your post and I am also booked into an endoscopy (relatives and friends who have done them say they seem much scarier than they actually are, irl they are no bother just try to be still biggrin for a mysterious continuous nausea which seems like it's constant waves with at worst throwing up and at best retching since mid last year.

Your complaint sounds quite similar and I was wondering if you had found any advice? The best I have managed to find is tips to cope such as boiled ginger and always making sure you get enough sleep.

I have no other health problems or allergies but I do have high anxiety and it seems if this is psychosomatic no one can tell me how to deal with it beyond usual methods of dealing with anxiety rolleyes

Hopefully you are feeling better now and best of luck for the future but if you have found anything useful I would be really grateful for any advice! Thanks and good luck smile

• Posted

Hi,

I have good days and bad days. The worst days I don’t know what to do I haven’t found a way to feel better usually I just suffer through it. But on a good day when I am feeling a bit nauseous I will drink A LOT of water and it helps a lot. Also I have a tendency to lay down after I eat because i’m so tired but you should let your body digest for about two hours before laying down so if you start to feel nauseous when you are laying down, i found that if you sit up straight it helps. That’s the only advice i can give i’m not fully cured: feeling better but if i find anymore remedies i will let u know(:

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply and advice! I had worried about throwing up and had instead restricted water... I realise now that wasn't the smartest thing to do...

I hope you manage to get an answer from any follow up regarding the gastritis! It seems odd because I have since found a few other people who had unexplained nausea for a long time... But again the most common answer I get is people saying it's stress (even if it's not an obviously stressful time of your life)... so I will keep looking for answers or specific triggers as well rolleyes

Glad that you are feeling a bit better now smile

• Posted

Wait sorry I got confused with another comment that mentioned gastritis sorry xP

Either way it's good things seem better now and hopefully the nausea will fade however slowly smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.