Endoscopy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment with the gastro doctor in a couple days because i have chronic nausea. I’m scared that i’m getting an endoscopy (which i probably am) can anyone please give me a heads up of what to expect. I’m scared i’m going to throw up while it happens. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Endoscopy went well today. They had me bite down on that plastic thingy and that's all I remember. They didn't see anything out of the ordinary but took a biopsy. Will know in a few days if I have an infection. He said to just keep taking phenergan for my nausea and to follow up with him in 6 weeks. So I have no answer & guess nausea is something I'll have to live with.

• Posted

I just had sense enough to read the papers they gave me when I left the hospital. It listed everything he did and looked at. He listed that there was mild gastritis. He didn't tell me that when he talked to me. It also listed in 3 different places not to ever take advil, alieve or aspirin again. (I wouldn't anyway as I'm on a blood thinner). Could gastritis cause nausea?

• Posted

An endoscopy is a procedure in which your doctor uses specialized instruments to view and operate on the internal organs and vessels of your body. It allows surgeons to view problems within your body without making large incisions.
  • Posted

Hey jade, I was just wondering what the doctor said about your endoscopy? What conclusion did they come up with? Was it gastritis or LPR?
  • Posted

I just had an endoscopy today. Was terrified of getting it after some stories i'd read online, but turned out to be fine.

The main thing is to stay calm and breath deeply and consistently through your nose, before and during the endoscopy. That's what I did, and managed to put up with it, no where near as bad as had thought. It's only 3 minutes with the endoscope inside and they also took a couple of biopsies which you could feel, but not at all painful.

I opted for no sedation, just the local anasetic spray on the back of the throat. I asked for an extra spray of it just to be sure.

Nothing to worry about though, just prepare yourself with breathing and staying calm and you'll be fine. Might gag a bit, at first but just the first 5 seconds, after that it's ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.