surgery on my meniscus

Posted , 10 users are following.

i into 4 weeks recovering yet from knee surgery. Progress is slow, muscle is bad every day, i walk 15 min every hour every day (my 4th day now) i get discouraged every day, it seems progress is too slow.  i still can’t bend my knee to a 90 degree angle! night time is the worst, i’m not sleeping well, very uncomfortable. any help is needed 

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please don’t get discouraged, it is a very painful surgery, but with excercise, good pain relief and icing, it will get easier, I had my first knee replacement 2 years ago and 2nd knee replaced in June last year. I am so pleased I had them done as I now have my life back. I am currently on holiday in Malaysia, swimming, walking and doing all the things I couldn’t pre op. So don’t despair, hard work does pay off. Have you tried sleeping with a very light pillow between your legs, I found this better at night. Hope some of the above helps. Good luck.
    • Posted

i can’t sleep on my side, i sleep on my back, i have my knee slighted elevated 4” i last 3 hrs in bed, i have to get up from numbness, i can’t get good rest at all. i’m really scared. 
    • Posted

i walk every hour with my crutches, with weight on my surgery knee, 

night time i’m very tired 

• Posted

im trying but it’s been a daily battle, mentally.  
  • Posted

I am just shy of my 6 month mark on my total knee replacement.

?I remember the first 4 weeks of my knee surgery where I hurt all the time, And the sleepless nights. I spent the first 4 weeks sleeping in my recliner with my leg elevated. I am like you I sleep on my back most of the time.

?Hang in there, I know what your going through it is mentally and physically challenging. Can't sleep at night and exhausted during the day. And can't get more than 2 hours sleep at a time was the pits. For me when I got off my pain meds like oxycodone that was when I actually slept.

?Your doing a good job in walking for 15 minutes every hour. Do your exercises with what your doctor or physical therapist recommends. Getting your knee to bend will take time. Your knee is still swollen and tender! Once the swelling starts going down you will be able to start bending the knee more.

?In 6 months my knee bend is about 125. I think in my 4 week mark I wasn't quite at 90.

Are you getting physical therapy?

Things will get better it just takes a year or little more for total knee replacement.

Try pitting ice on your knee before bed for some people it helps 

• Posted

thank you, this helps, i live in a remote area, no physical therapist.  my physician mentioned sending me out of town to get PT.  All this is scary for me, I’m afraid to travel. But i will probably do it, I just get weak at night time.  i take 1 oxy just to relax and ice it down. thx again 
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine keep going, it really does get better very slowly. You have to be patient (I'm a very inpatient person). I had a Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction and some of my meniscus removed in the inside of my left knee last February. I feel your frustration, some days I said to myself I wish I dident have it done and thought is it ever gonna get better. Keep up with what your doing

• Posted

Thank you, this helps, I feel like I’ll never get to walk again, scary. I’ll keep working at it, R.I.C.E!  I was wishing I never had it done too but I can hope for the best outcome, it may not be soon but I pray it heals. 
  • Posted

I don't have advice for you but I think it's awesome your doing 15 mins that's really great !

• Posted

Thank you, every day is different, I have to really work hard, it’s pretty stressful.  My heart goes out to any person with disabilities. Once I recover, I want to go out to help people with permanent disabilities.  You feel so alone going through this.  if I can do one thing for a diababled person, the thought this would uplift one person’s mind is priceless. 
  • Posted

Lorraine, I pray you will get well soon it;s tough I know, I had my surgery 3 month} ago (meniscectomy} and still can not walk 25 yards without crutches I have a feeling you will be fine, you sound a fighter, and the advice here is great. 

• Posted

Thank you, I don’t feel like fighter, every day is different, now I slowed down, I feel weak but I keep moving. Every two hours I move from my bed to the couch or my knee gets numb. Thank you for prayers, I really need prayers. 
  • Posted

If it was TKR then 4 weeks is not a long time to expect much.

I am in my 12th week and still have some problem sleeping

You will have a better night sleep after 6 weeks and then you will begin to feel that you are on the mend

Carry on cold treatment for a few more weeks and if the swelling has subsided significantly than use hot water bottles to get more comfort at night 

Have patients and eventually you will get there

Good luck

Dal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.