Prolapse after hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had an anterior vaginal repair in September 2016.  Following this I unfortunately had a uterine prolapse and underwent vaginal hysterectomy July 2017.  When I had my 6 week post-op examination, I mentioned that I could again feel a bulge.  On examination I was told I did have a bulge due to a lax vagina and referred to physio for pelvic floor exercises.  I also bought a Pericalm pelvic floor stimulator.  Despite this my prolapse seems worse. I see the physiotherapist again next week.  She has said she would refer me back to Consultant but I am so embarrassed to see him again as I feel I've let everyone down.  I don't want further surgery but don't think I would be suitable for a pessary.  Any advice.  I am 73 years of age.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi barbara88669B

I’m so sorry your having trouble, I had a bladder repair and a hysterectomy on the 13th December 2017, I too feel like I still have a bulge   sad   I’ve been doing pelvic floor exercises and doing everything I was told to do. I’ve made an appointment with my GP to see what she thinks but  I’ll be so disappointed if the bladder repair has failed. Big hug and try and stay positive x

• Posted

Hi Savs123,  thank you so much for your reply.  I'm sorry to hear that you also feel you have a bulge and hope your GP can reassure you.  I would be interested to hear how you get on.  I definitely know I have prolapsed again and feel quite downhearted about it all as it seems all I've been through has been a waste of time.  Take care. 

• Posted

Oh sad. I don't think previous things done have been a waste or time. This time you could have had prolapse due to a weak pelvic floor, on posterior wall. Don't be embarrassed at all. You need a Dr. to tell you what has prolapses this time. 

• Posted

Thank you robyn for replying.  My consultant told me at my six week post-op check that although I had a bulge I wouldn't need further surgery and that pelvic floor exercises would be enough.  I found these difficult and bought a Pericalm but despite this the "bulge" is worse.  This is why I feel embarrassed about seeing him again as I feel I have failed.  I am my husband's Carer and really wouldn't want to undergo further surgery and all that it means.  If my pelvic floor is so poor I wonder whether even a pessary would be suitable.  Thank you again for your advice.

• Posted

Hi Barbara 

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair plus a sacrospinous fixation in May 2017. I was convinced it hadn't work due to a post op bulge. I have been reassured I have no prolapses and the bulge is the urethra, post menopausal there is also atrophy and thinning walls. I've been prescribed Ovestin and saw a women's health physiotherapist. She feels pelvic floor exercises will help, she does not want me to have further surgery. 

I have to do the exercises lying down so the bulge doesn't bulge and get squashed! It makes sense and I'm now trying really hard to do the squeezing three times a day. 

I hope you can get some advice about your situation. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.