Open Myomectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am six days post-op. The first four days I had little pain at the incision site and significant pain from the gas pumped in me during surgery. In fact so much so they had to call the rapid response team due to my inability to breathe due to the pain. This morning I woke up and the pain at the incision site is almost unbearable.  Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Yes I had extensive gas pains that lasted for about a week after my myomectomy. I’m now three weeks postop. It gets better. 😊

• Posted

Did you find that the pain at the incision site got worse several days in?  It feels like an open cut. Also the doctor said I should take some iron supplements. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

Hi,

I felt pain at the incision sites and still do. However, I learned that putting Polysporin on really alleviated some of that.

As for iron - I think that’s a great idea! I’m still really low on energy and pretty sure that I had anemia right after surgery. It’s taking me a while to get some energy back and I’m still not sleeping right.

Thankfully, I’m still off work. I still have a bloated stomach. But it’s interesting because without the fibroid there, my tummy is going down. smile

• Posted

I had my surgery on January 16. So, a little more than two weeks.
  • Posted

I am 9 days post-op and part of my incision is still open. I was having terrible and unbearable pain there. Now it’s not too bad during the day, but the evenings are still bad. I had terrible gas pains the day after too, I passed out from the pain and woke up choking on my own vomit. 
    • Posted

I had the rapid response team called to my room because I couldn’t get air in because of the pain which resulted in sever hyperventilation. It was pretty scary at the time. 
  • Posted

I'm 5 days post open-myo op, and its reassuring to read that others had the awful air/wind-related pains in the days after. It was very hard for me to pass urine or to move bowels normally, in fact like some of the above comments, I ended up vomiting several times, two nights in a row, and with horrendous pain. I think the morphine added to my sickness actually. Yesterday was bad at points, but today is the first day that I've significantly better, ie. not creased over in pain at regular intervals. In fact, today I felt like a massive change in general. I feel pain at the incision from time to time, but nothing too bad, I'm associating it with the cut healing. I'm keeping a  very close eye on the wound, and having the staples removed on Wednesday and Friday. It feels like every day is a wee step in the right direction. The only thing I'm worried out now is, because I'm feeling a little better, I might forget that us post-ops can't lift more than 1.1 kg for a while, and that I can't go out for a nice long walk... little by little! smile All your messages are really helpful to read! 

Ps- for anyone going into surgery soon, I would recommend buying some paper pants for after surgery. I bought 'big pants' for after, but anything with a tight-ish elastic (it. not ballooning wildly!) is uncomfy. you can get these online very easily and pretty cheaply- I ended up getting some the day I left hospital before their 3-day supply ran out! ALSO- maybe I'm paranoid about infection on the wound site, but I bought some high quality paper towel and after showering, use some of that to gently pat the wound site dry, instead of a towel (I did consider using a clean towel every time but this seemed like a less wash-intensive option!) smile 

• Posted

ps- will also add that I've ended up somehow quite hurting my left shoulder from all the stain I've put on it trying to support myself with my arms sitting up etc.... just something to look out for! 

• Posted

That’s really strange! My right shoulder is hurting! I never would’ve made the association. Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted

I go in on Thursday. It’s starting to become reality now. I’ve been taking naproxen for a few months due to pain from the fibroid, which I’ve been told to stop as of today. I’ve also been taking transamic for a few days a month when I’ve had really heavy periods. I started my period yesterday and know that things are going to be heavy, so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could still take the transamic tablets leading up to the operation. I’m worried about my iron levels when I’m so close to the day.
    • Posted

My right shoulder was extremely painful due to the gas. It extended up to my neck. Ask the doctor for the hospital version of Gas X and take regularly. I could expel gas naturally until 5 days after surgery 
  • Posted

It appears stopping the pain meds too quickly while at the same time upping my activity is what caused the intense pain. It is a little better today. What I have noticed is that a bowel movement causes such intense cramp pains. I suggest Miralax and Colase. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.