Anyone else still have diorreha after finishing anti biotics

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry it's me again. Finished my antibiotics yesterday and for the last four days only been having 1 bowel motion per day although very loose. Been eating a very bland diet but did give gravy a go on my meal last night. This morning ate porridge for breakfast ,lightly buttered toast for lunch, and tried tea with milk but had 5 loose bowel movements afterwards. Does anyone else still have this problem after finishing Anti biotics. SO fed up now as my gp said if the tablets didnt work it might mean hospitalisation and I certainly want to avoid that.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yeah... Week 10 and still have it, usually all morning then it mostly stops.  This is my second bout (first was 7 years previous) and that took about 3 months before I was normal~ish. Such a drag. Thank goodness I work for myself.  I hope you feel better! Keep taking a good probiotic!
    • Posted

Oh my goodness and I was getting worried after 2 days. I have not had a flare up like this since I had 18" of my colon removed about 8 years ago so I'd forgotten how debilitating it is and all the does and donts regarding diet. I'm so fed up of boring bland food now. At least this forum allows us to be in touch with fellow sufferers and gain some reassurance. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

I recently finished antiobiotics for my first diverticultis episode, and I'm still in crampy pain constantly since. I have very loose stools at least 10 times per day for weeks now. Waiting on colonoscopy, I'm exhausted, but I fear its coming back. Is it normal to go the the Loo so often?

• Posted

Under these circumstances I would go to your GP.  10 times a day for weeks is not right.  The antibiotics can make you run more often, and the crampy pain can last for weeks after an attack, also exhaustion is is a common side effect.  But you had the runs long before you went on medication, and might need something to stop.
  • Posted

Yes - the effects of the pills stay in my system for a couple of weeks after I finish taking them, and recovering from the DD itself can take months before my inner workings get back to a semblance of normal, I'm afraid.  I would suggest if you are having both porridge and bread you might be having too much fibre for your system to handle this early.  I have either 30gm porridge OR 1 slice wholemeal bread a day.  Also the dairy of milk and butter might be too much as well, as some people find they can't take dairy at first.  You might like to consider some blended soup for lunch.  I make my own, but tinned chicken or mushroom soup seems to go down OK as well.

• Posted

Thank you Felina I will take your advice. I'm so fed up of this now. X

• Posted

I've just had my 2nd attack in 4 yrs and on the road to recovery with antibiotics.  Have not yet had the dreaded 'D' but pain and spasms have been dreadful.  Think I may even have burned my stomach with a hot water bottle.  Have been warned about the dreaded 'D' and told that if it happens, to take a 24hr break before starting again.  Has anyone else been told this?  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I wasn't Laura and to add insult to injury despite eating probiotic yoghurt I now have thrush down below to contend with. Last night's meal boiled rice and white fish with hard boiled egg. All stuff that's supposed to be ok but thus morning off to the bathroom again and pain on left side. Getting very fed up now. Hope you feel better again soon also .

• Posted

Yes, already thinking about what I can eat / want to eat without setting of a chain reaction.  At least I love rice smile
  • Posted

It's the antibiotics that give you diarrea during and after...takes awhile for bowels to get back to normal. Try Medamucil....cleared my diarrea up and felt a lot better. 

• Posted

This flare up began a week last Friday with severe diorreha which I dealt with until the Monday when I saw the gp. He just told me to stay on a clear fluid diet but on the Tuesday it was so bad I rang him and he gave me the anti biotics and buscopan. I finished the anti biotics o Sunday but I'm still going to the loo 3 or 4 times a day with very loose motions and still have pain on my left side. I haven't heard of the Medamucil bit I will check it out thank you.

• Posted

And isn't that the problem because I find that I'm starving but equally I shouldn't be eating at all.  Still have spasms though not as severe as the weekend.  Trying to keep to a white food diet.  Find I very thirsty with a dry mouth.

• Posted

Metamucil in USA, Fybogel in UK.  But there are others over the counter or online
    • Posted

Yes im experiencing the dry mouth also. Not having spasms as such. It's the niggling pain on my left side and the bloating that I find hard to cope with.

• Posted

I have found a product on line called Medamucil which comes in powder or tablet form so I'm assuming this is the same. I'm going to discuss with my gp if this will be the way forward. Over the last few months diorreha has not been a problem , rather the opposite but I'm reading on line that this could have caused the dv to flare so I need to take steps to prevent this happening again. Thank Felinia

• Posted

Oh yes, have the bloating too.  I feel better one moment and then awful the next.  My stomach is very tender indeed.
    • Posted

It sounds like you are improving so keep doing what you are doing. Be patient .....I am starting to feel better after 3mths so it takes time!!!
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, 3 months?  That's such a long time.  I'm trying to look after myself and work though the ABs are really not making me feel great both physically and mentally.  Glad to hear though that you are feeling better and it's a lesson to us all that we really need to look after ourselves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.