Esmya causing depression?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started on Esmya to stop my periods in Jan 2018, I have been taking them for 6 weeks now however this has affected me deeply emotionally, I am teary, worried, low  self esteem & just not interested in doing anything. Does Esmya causethis or am I depressed?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was on Esmya on and off for a year at I felt that the first month or so I was quite emotional and up and down. I hope this helps. It does pass. I preferred that than an uncontrolled period, and it did helped to reduced my fibroid. 
  • Posted

Hey! Well iam not on that so...I really couldn’t tell you...but it might be best if you call your dr.to let them know how it’s effect you.I pray everything work out for you🙏🏾🙌🏾😇

• Posted

I took Esmya for three months four years ago. It coincided with a bad time at work. I slipped into depression for which I eventually sought medical help. I am prone to depression anyway but this was the worst, most prolonged period of it that I had had. I still wonder if Esmya played any part in it - prolonged it or made it worse. I seem to recall it being on the list of possible side effects.
    • Posted

I received a letter from NHS health to inform me that it can cause severe liver damage!!! So I will have to go for a monthly blood test !!! So we are guinea pigs now. Why were we not told this information initially???
  • Posted

I took esmya for three months and found I was feeling very low and slightly irrational with it. For me it didn’t work and my fibroids have increased in size. On the leaflet it did say it could cause depression. I stopped taking this at the end of November and felt better in myself almost straight away. I should mention that I did receive a letter last week from the hospital saying esmya had been linked also to some liver failures and that I was to go for a blood test to check my liver function. I assume most people on esmya will have also got the same letter?
    • Posted

No letter received here , in fact i printed the info off the internet and took it to the doctors with me. He was shocked and knew nothing about it and its not written on my notes that im on it! He said it was because the gyno issues the esmya and i said yes but the doctor signs the prescription , he didnt have an answer for that .Just had my bloods back and they are ok but its not the point is it.

I shared the health concern on facebook as I only found out about it on here. Thank god for this forum. x

• Posted

Glad your results came back clear. I started feeling brighter soon after stopping esmya hopefully you will too. All the best x
  • Posted

Please stop taking it as I was called in to my Doctors surgery last week and hand a letter by NHS health informing me that Esmaya can cause severe liver damage so if I continue taking it , I will have to go for a monthly blood test??? The question is why were we not told initially??? Are we giunpigs testing this drug??? Please alert people as I am having problems with this page.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.