Looking for info

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had TN for probably over six or seven years now, I have had the decompressive surgery twice,  and each time the pain came back within 6 to 7 months. I had some luck with acupuncture for a while but then that stopped. I’ve tried nerve block once,  it actually was just a few weeks before my second surgery so I don’t really even remember the consequence. my doctor wants me to do the nerve block again. Has anyone had the worst pain after the nerve block? Also I am on gabapentin and carbamazepine,  has anyone taken the oxcarmezpine  with the carbamazepine and had luck? Currently on a good day I might have 5 to 10 shocks, today I certainly had closer to 20 or more. The shocks them selves are not as extreme as I’ve had in the past. Just collecting any info thank you .  I am 53 years old and female if that helps wink

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am so sorry you still suffer this dispite your efforts. I have had continual nerve blocks over 3 years, they work for 1-3 weeks. Yes just recently on nerve block number 10 he missed, it caused me to have the worst pain for about 3 weeks. I went into shock, and realized how brutal my pain can be when triggered correctly, The other issue I have with nerve blocks, besides there extreme risk without a lengthy pain reduction, is I don’t feel the pain but all the their side effects are still present. So inflammation, motor function, muscle spasms are still uncontrolled. Pharmalogical, surgical, and diet has all their own special risks and benefits. Overall if the nerve blocks are helpful it’s worth the risk. Personally I have found topical medication such as ketamine and cannabis to be as effective, when done correctly, as nerve blocks. There are many things such as lidocaine and capsicum that block pain signals so even if I compare capsicum rub(making me cry) and nerve blocks, well let’s just say I cried when my dr missed my nerve block, and I almost punched him.....capsicum and other pharmalogical approaches are unpleasant but usually tolerated long term. I know few chronic pain sufferers that perfer constant nerve blocks.

As far as ox carbamazepine is concerned, or carbamazepine, I am not sure. I hated all AEDs, anticonvusives, and anti depressants. I think they are all a cop out for real treatment, they mostly handle the symptoms resulting from pain. Route cause, then pain, then symptoms should be the route of medical treatment. MVD surgery and alagesenics actually can help with reducing pain.....the other suggestions may or may not work and may or may not have good evidence of long lasting detrimental effects. So my drs are telling me to avoid typical treatment options that have been proven ineffective long term, then suggest medications; and treatment options that have even less documentation of long term use, it’s scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.