How soon do you see GP when a flare starts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. I've now had my DD diagnosed a couple of months ago via colonoscopy. This weekend my pain has started to flare up quite badly, though I've no fever or bleeding at the moment. As it's Sunday and snowing I'm a bit loathed to drag the kids to the walk in centre to sit amongst a lot of germs, and am tempted to try and manage on my own at home till I can speak to my gp tomorrow. What do you all do in this kind of situation please? I started liquid diet yesterday when the pain crept in.

Thanks 😀

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise. Welcome to our club! I was diagnosed early this year. You're doing the right thing with a liquid diet, go easy on your tummy. For myself, I find paracetamol and a hot water bottle help ease the pain slightly, but if it does get bad, you will need medical intervention. Certainly see your GP tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you. Paracetamol is helping. Will call my GP tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed 18 months ago. You are doing the right thing. But if it gets any worse today you need to see a DR. You must go to DRS tomorrow just to make sure you don't need antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

You are doing all the right things, and as the others say, paracetemol, heat, liquids only and see your GP tomorrow.  Can you think of what you ate over the previous 48 hours that might have set you off (red meat, full fat, nuts etc)?  Have you been constipated and straining?  Have you overexercised, or lifted something heavy?  Any can set you off.  Were you told about diet and stool softeners to lessen the chance of flares?

Learning to deal with DD, particularly telling the difference between infection, needing medication plus bowel rest plus liquid diet; and inflammation, needing bowel rest plus liquid diet only is tricky.  Many GP's now won't prescribe antibiotics if they suspect inflammation only (you are not yet showing signs of infection like fever), as they are concerned about becoming antibiotic resistant.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I would agree with this. If in doubt then get yourself to your GP as soon as you feel you should. My first episode came with a fever and a very fast heart rate as well as the pain. I ended up in hospital on IV drips for a week and oral antibiotics for some time after that. It took weeks to recover. Since then I’ve had several flares but haven’t gone to my GP because I’ve not developed a fever. I put myself on a liquid diet and waited. The last flare I had lasted about a week and was really painful. I just sat it out and had just decided to visit my GP when the pain started to ease so I didn’t.  I think you need to decide on the pain level - if it’s unbearable or if it last for several days with no sign of improvement then you need to see about it. If you feel hot and sweaty then don’t hesitate in seeing your GP because you have an infection. You will get to know your body and the sort of pain it gives you and when to worry and when to just feel fed up with it. On saying that, don’t take any risks with your health. The antibiotics can cause problems so only take them if you’ve got an infection rather than inflammation. The ones they give us for DD are pretty powerful.  It’s a miserable disease. I hope you soon feel better. 
  • Posted

You are doing exactly what you should be doing.  LIquid diet, warm heating pad on abdomen, Bentyl(for spasms)  and if you don't feel better in a day or two head on to your doctor.  I have had many flare ups and I usually know when it's severe enough that a round of antibiotics is necessary.  If pain gets worse or fever go immediately.  Hoping the liquid diet and warm heating pad help.  I would wait and if all seems ok start a low residue diet. Soft foods and watch hard to digest meats and raw vegetables.  I use a crockpot a lot.  If this is a mild flare up you should be well enough to eat soon.  Make sure you keep your bowels regular.  I use Miralax for constipation.  Also while having a flare up a probiotic is advisable if you do take antibiotics.  Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better soon. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.