Globus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I first posted on here two years ago and I wanted to give an update. I had been having food stick occasionally for years but i had always managed to move the food until 2 years ago when i was eating popcorn, it stuck, and my throat problems began. At first I could only eat blended food or smoothies etc.  i started having acupuncture and taking iron supplements (as during tests it was found my ferritin level was  4 which is very low) I then was able to eat a bit better- soft foods like lasagne cottage pie etc. But i always had pain in my throat , i called it a dull ache. and any dry or hard food are impossible for me to it. i had barium swallow, endoscopy, Videofluoroscopy, mri scan on neck , and a manometry . The oesophageal manometry revealed i had very high pressure in my throat of 189mm which is well above the normal limit of 104mm Apparently this means my muscles were very tight. It also showed i had no acid reflux (which was one of the first diagnosis i received some months before and was put on tablets which obviously had no effect.) They suggested a pharyngeal dilation which i had done in April last year . I had it done and did not experience any difference. The dr was very mystified by this and said i should have had some relief. I said surely if my neck my that tight stretching it for 10 seconds with a balloon and then removing balloon, it could have gone  immediately back to how it was before. But as dr seem to think they know your body better than you , he didn't agree, I have been offered amitriptyline  for the constant pain i am in but i haven't taken it because of side effects. I also have a constant pain at the very top of my spine, in  the bony bit of my neck.  I m eating better then two years ago but only certain types of food and its never easy. I have lost faith a bit in the Drs and havent been back since and have tried to manage with how I am. But it is very difficult as i feel I always have to plan my eating in advance if i am going out or explain to people what the situation is. I dont think  have typical globus as most people with that seem to experience relief when eating and can eat noramlly but i don't. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is actually very sad and I hope you find out what’s causing this, if your muscles are so tight I’d think supplements that promote relaxation would help or even relaxers, messages, yoga, etc. 
    • Posted

Thank you. So do I! i would just like to eat as i did before all this happened. I see so many people on forums with similar problems and the drs dont seem to help. i lost faith with Dr when i went to a private one in the first couple of months, he put a camera up my nose and said you have red irritation in throat. You need Lansoprazole. I had no symptoms of acid reflux. I asked what happens if tablets dont work . He said It WILL work . Of course they had no effect. Roll forward a year and then manometry test said no acid reflux. But same Dr still thinks he's always right?! I try to remain positive but some days are harder than others. 

• Posted

Rachel,have you thought about trying acupuncture?? I would definitely give it a go! 

I am sure this problem will pass, as everything is temporary! 

• Posted

Thanks for reply. Yes i have acupuncture. The man i go to is very good. If I didnt have that him to go to i think it would have been very difficult for me to remain positive. 
  • Posted

I used to have iron deficiency. For years I felt terrible every time I stopped taking  iron tables. I spent lots of time and money trying to figure out why did I have this problem, but the doctors couldn’t find anything wrong with me. Than I decided to try acupuncture. I had a treatment every week for three months, but because I didn’t feel any better, I stopped going. Somehow couple of weeks later I felt better and ever since ( January 2017)my iron level is normal. I don’t know for the fact if it was the acupuncture or just my body decided to absorb iron again, but definitely worth trying it.  And yes, it is true that these kind of problems are just temporary, sometimes our body just need time to get back to normal, that’s all. My one needed 4 years.lol
    • Posted

I'm glad you got better eventually.. I hope one day I can say the same. My iron levels were low due to the fact I have endometriosis as well, which is another horrible condition. But I try to take each day as it comes and just keep thinking one day I will eat normally again 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.